Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. working for a major domestic appliance company. Numerous training programs with cities, guilds and major manufacturers.
14831508

My Dometic RM2552 works on AC but when turning

Customer Question

My Dometic RM2552 works on AC but when turning on the LP the red needle gets just barely into the green zone and stays there, but no cooling happens. While the needle is in the green zone, the flame will light by means of a hand held lighter, but lasts only about 30 seconds, then the red needle goes to the off (white zone). Is it the thermocouple and if so I need the part number. Thanks Wendell XXXX

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you with your problem today. If anything isn't clear, please just ask me.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I only just came on line and saw your question. Are you still looking for help with this?

Please don't rate my answer until we have explored all possible avenues. Please just use the reply button to contact me.

The thermocouple should detect the heat from the flame and keep the gas valve open.
From the description this is not happening.
Before changing the valve, does the flame look fairly strong? Its possible the jet is blocked, not allowing enough gas to flow which will produce a weak flame thats not hot enough for the thermocouple to detect.

If all looks well, then, yes, you are correct, its a faulty thermocouple.

For the replacement, please see here (Just click on the word in blue)
You should also be able to order this from a local supplier
If you need more help, please just ask.
In the meantime,

Can I ask you to take a moment and rate my response? Please use the smiley faces which you should now see. Please remember you are rating me personally, not the website or the problems you have had with this machine.
If you need to ask me anything after rating, please just follow the link in the welcome email
Thanks
Rob

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The flame reaches thru the 1/2 gap and into the covered chamber, is that enough? This problem just came up so I know the system was OK a short time ago. So I figure it can be fixed without a complete redo.

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Hi Wendell

As long as the flame looks strong rather than weedy looking, it will be OK.

In that case it is the thermocouple and you will need to replace it.

See the link above.

Please don't forget to rate, as this is how I get credit for helping you today. You can still come back to me after rating, if you need to

All the best

Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs. working for a major domestic appliance company. Numerous training programs with cities, guilds and major manufacturers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the thermocouple so I'll get back with you in a few days and let you know. Questions: What happens when I click on the (Add Bonus) feature? At what point do they take the remaining $25.00 off my credit card, after you and I are satisfied maybe?

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Hi Wendell

Thanks for letting me know.

Im sorry, I don't know about the financial side of the transaction as I have no control over it, I just answer the questions

I can tell you that the Bonus button allows you to pay me a bonus if you felt I helped you.
Please feel free to come back to me

Thanks
Rob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Fixed it!!! Couldn't tell if the thermocouple was the problem as the new one didn't work either, but I cleaned the gas orfice and it works great, it self ignites and everything. A safety pin did the job.

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Hi Wendell

Thats great news, well done

Thanks for letting me know its all sorted

All the best

Rob