Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a kitchenaid refrigerator model number KSBS25INBL00

I have a kitchenaid refrigerator model number KSBS25INBL00 serial number is XXXXX It has a variable speed embraco compressor in it, the model number for it is VEGY 7H. The problem we are having is that the neither fridge or freezer is getting cold. I checked voltage and I have 120 going to the embraco controller but the compressor doesn't come on. The condensor fan comes on. I noticed the invertor says 120 input and 230 output, should I have 230 on the output to the compressor? I'm trying to make sure its the controller before I replace it, didn't know if it could be the contacts on the side of the compressor?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So you're down to either a bad compressor or a bad inverter. You do not know what voltage the compressor should be getting because it's variable speed and the voltage can change. Is the compressor warm, hot, or room temperature?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's room temperature, I kinda figured that the voltage would vary. I am getting some voltage on the output side of the controller.

OK so you need to unplug the wires and plug from the compressor. There are 3 pins on the compressor. With a multimeter test resistance between any combination of two of the pins. There are 3 combinations possible. Can you tell me the readings you get on all 3 combinations?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The two lower resistances should add up to the higher correct? I'm currently not there, but will be this weekend to look at it again.

No that is not correct. It's variable speed. They should all be the exact same resistance. If not, then you need to replace the compressor. If they all read the same, you need to replace the inverter board. By far the most likely culprit will be the inverter board so I would go back out there with the inverter board in hand because embraco compressors just do not fail.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, sounds good. Shouldnt be too bad, worst part is getting in there. Thanks for your help, wasnt real familiar with the variable speed compressors.

not a problem and I do wish you the best.