Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We purchased a Dacor EGR30S06BK in 2004-2005 and from day 1

We purchased a Dacor EGR30S06BK in 2004-2005 and from day 1 it took 45-50 minutes to get to 350. We had 3 service calls over that year, and each time the tech told us that Germans make very low energy to heat the oven and to just accept it. (Diamond Appliance in Northern Il). This year the oven will no longer heat to 350. We are about to throw our $6000 oven out and want to know if there is any reason we should have it looked at again.

Please advise.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Can you try to turn the broil option on? Does broil work if you give it 5 minutes?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We will try in 20 min when we get back home.
OK perfect, just let me know what you find if you would and I should be able to help youf rom there.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We set for Broil and after 5 min no heat. In the past we have also smelled gas when using bake or broil, but could not recreated for tech when onsite. Igniter is bright and I can feel warmth from it but no flame.
It sounds like your oven igniter below the floor inside your oven is just starting to fail and needs to be ordered and replaced.  Oven igniters last about 6-8 years under normal use before they tend to start failing.  They need to draw at least 3.2 amps or else they won't open the gas valve correctly and it will either crack the valve open, or open and shut the valve several times when it should just be holding open.  This could explain why it was taking so long to heat up before, but honestly 30 minutes is about normal on this unit. It doesn't matter if the igniter is glowing or not; just because it glows doesn't mean the igniter is drawing enough power to open the safety valve. Just replace the igniter and you should be good to go.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
2 min after I opened the door and 10 seconds after I responded to you, the gas started flow and it ignited.
Aye, it sounds like the igniter is just getting weak and the igniters need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Broil has not been the problem, bake takes 45-50 min to heat to 350 before this year, and now won't hit 350. Is this the same issue, and if so, how do you know?
As I said before, 30 minutes is normal. Now if you're going off a thermostat that you put inside the oven and not when the display says that it's actually 350, then 45 minutes is 100% normal because the thermostat is waited and takes longer to actually reach the temperature than the air inside does. It definitely could be caused by the same thing, but if not then the only other option would be your door not sealing up.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is the panel that takes 45-50 to say 350 not our own thermostat. I believe you are diagnosing the new problem correctly now that it won't hear to 350, but I need the original issue solved. Can you help? 45-50 min is not normal according to others on the net. Many are saying they have had the same issue, and that the lower element or the board had to be replaced to fix. They also state that there are diagnostics that can be used to figure this out. With all due respect, are you sure you are qualified to review this issue?
Yes, I am qualified to review this issue and if there was a problem. And this is not a dual fuel oven, it's a gas oven. It doesn't have an element like what you're reading on the internet. As I have just told you, if the oven igniter is on and the burner comes on to heat but it's taking 45-50 minutes to heat, the door is not sealing up properly so you either need to replace the hinges or the door seal because the door is letting out too much heat. And as I also said before, the igniter can take years to go out so it very well could have just been causing problems from the beginning.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Fair enough, and no disrespect. Texting is tough. Who in the Chicago area is qualified to service this unit?
That I couldn't say since I'm out of Colorado, but you can enter your zip code into the link below and it will give you all the servicers in your area.

CLICK HERE to locate servicer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am looking at the door seal, and on the bottom, the steel mesh seal tucks under the window plate, leaving a 3 inch opening in the seal at the bottom.

Also, when the door closes, on the bottom the door is not flush with the bottom plate, and is instead recessed about 1/3 " in deeper than the bottom plate.

When you view the door from the side, when closed, the gap between the inside of the door and the oven is about an 1/8 of an inch on the bottom, and almost a 1/3 of on inch on top. Is this what you are talking about with the hinge issue and the resulting poor seal of the door?
So the mesh at the bottom with a 3" opening is normal. The issue would be if the door is not pulling tight at the top. I'm not there to assess whether or not the door is pulling tight or not, but the door will not sit perfectly square even when it is pulling tight. The top will always stick out a little further than the bottom just because it can't pull quite tight enough ever to pull the top in as far as the bottom unless you run a self clean and the door lock pulls it tighter.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am trying really hard to be able to say you helped me so I can pay you, and I feel like you are saying that you can't. I am not into taking help for free, yet I don't feel any closer to a resolution without bringing in a service tech who will charge me again and say that Dacor takes 45-50 to heat to 350 and that is normal (igniter issue of late aside).

You are also stating that since this is not the dual-fuel, there is no diagnostics to run, and that there is no element issue possible. You are also saying since you are not here, you cant judge if the door was manufactured to seal properly, or if the hinges need replacing. Is there anything else you can do for me? If not, how can I wait to pay you until the service rep confirms that the igniter is the issue, and that the door seals properly so that we can cut 15-20 min a day off our preheat time?
I have told you everything there is to know about how this oven should work. I can obviously not fix the problem for you over the internet. You are paying for my advice and time--that is what you are paying for.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I respectfully XXXXX XXXXX disagree until I get satisfaction. You are telling me the same thing that has not resolved this issue previously. If there is a way to rate you after I confirm your advice, and solve my issue, then I will rate you well. If not, I can't help this system.. If that is not possible, just let me know. I plan on finding a local company tomorrow.
First that was not your question whatsoever to begin with. No one would answer your question if you original said, "fix what everyone else can not fix". You asked if you should fix your $6000 oven now that you have another problem and you've had an ongoing problem. I'm telling you that yes, you should fix the new issue and now you know what the problem is because I just told you. I also told you that this could fix your pre-existing problem as well, but you won't know until you replace the part. Please understand that if you use this service in the future that we can no guarantee that we can fix the problem for you. We give you our advice and our time and you are paying for that. We can do no more.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Once again, I respectfully XXXXX XXXXX do not care to argue. As I said, if your advice fixes the issue, and the oven heats to 350 in 30 min, I will rate you well. I am certain based on my experience, it will not. I hope I am wrong. If you can't tell me how to rate you after the service call, I will try this page again. I hope that works.
You just come back to this page to rate me. But again, you are paying for my time and I want you to fix the issue. We have spent 2 hours together for this session--that is what you are paying for.
I'm just following up to see how your appliance is doing since I haven't heard back from you and this question is still open. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?