Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

my Whirlpool freezer shut down. I checked the power sources

my Whirlpool freezer shut down. I checked the power sources and that was not the problem. It is possible that the inside control knob had been inadvertently turned off but we have no way of knowing. I fiddled with the switch and the freezer came back on. This was after we emptied it. Now it is still running but the outside feels very hot. should I turn it off? any other thoughts?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

It sounds like your thermostat is either going bad or possibly just turned off inadvertently. The outside of the freezer will get very hot during the initial cool down period because the compressor is going to be working very hard to cool the unit down from room temperature or so. Either way, once it reaches temperature, the compressor will shut off and the outside will begin to cool down and will just be slightly warm as opposed to really hot like it is now. You can wait to replace the thermostat if you think it may have been turned off inadvertently, but if the issue comes back you'd really want to replace that thermostat.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!