repairman4734
repairman4734, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  38 years in self-employed major appliance & refrigeration service. Have 2 licenses to do refrig.
15371985

Hi, I have a GE profile microwave (model #JE2160SF001). The

Hi, I have a GE profile microwave (model #JE2160SF001). The microwave cooks fine but the display panel has started to go blank, display all digits, or lock-up for 20 minutes. The clock also frequently stops. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi, my name is Farrell & I will be helping you with your problem today. Thanks for your question, it is appreciated. What you have here is a defective control panel, that is going to need to be replaced. This part can be ordered thru repairclinic.com. They have a 100% money back gurantee, that if it doesn't work, you can send it back for a full refund. Open up the following url, and it will give you all of the information you need to purchase and receive the part;

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Touchpad-and-Control-Panel/WB27X10691/1086321

Hope this helps, and let me know how you come out. Have a good afternoon Smile

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your response. If I order a new control panel, will there be instructions on how to replace the old one?

Hi Bill, not sure if it comes with directions or not. I can help you with installation. First, unplug the machine. Next, remove the grill at top, 2 or3 screws on top of cabinet, remove them and slide to the right and remove. Now you can get to the screw that holds the top of the control panel in place. Remove screw, lift up and out to remove the panel. Be sure, to replace one wire at a time, so you don't get mixed up. When done just reinstall in reverse order of removal. Would also recommend your installing a surge protector on the wall and plug the microwave into that. Hope this helps, and I am here, if you have further questions.
Hi Bill, thanks again for letting me help you, it is appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi again,

Before I order the new control panel, could you please explain how I can remove the microwave. It has a stainless-steel trim around the front. Both the trim and the microwave are anchored firmly into the cabinet. I do not want to pry too much and break something. There must be a way to release the clips or whatever is holding the trim and the microwave in place.

Thanks, Bill

Hi Bill, Is this a tabletop model or over the counter unit? If its a tabletop unit, looking at the cabinet, you will have to remove the screws holding the wrap and remove the cover then you can get to the control panel..

Hi again, found a site that might help you, just click on picture after you've opened site;

http://www.repairclinic.com/RepairHelp/How-To-Fix-A-Microwave/71-3-615642-/GE-Microwave-display-not-working-JE2160BF001

Hey Bill, my apologies, I gave you the wrong part number for the control. Please correct to the following part; Hope I got to you in time, if it was ordered, please cancel and order;

sorry for the error and my apologies.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My microwave is built into a cabinet and is situated above a GE oven of similar design. I'll check out the website that you sent.

Thanks,

Bill

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This link: http://www.repairclinic.com/RepairHelp/How-To-Fix-A-Microwave/71-3-615642-/GE-Microwave-display-not-working-JE2160BF001

seems to reference a different microwave model. My microwave is a JE2160SF001 and not the BF model.

Bill

Hi Bill, you have an over the stove microwave, I am assuming. If this is correct, then your unit will need to be taken down for repair. It will take 2 people to do this. It is held in place with 2-3 screws down thru top of cabinet. Remove screws and lower front to where you can lift off bracket in the back. Once down, remove the cabinet, and you can get to the control. Sorry for all the confusion.