Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

My Refrigerator and bottom freezer are warm. The air coming

Customer Question

My Refrigerator and bottom freezer are warm. The air coming off the back of the unit is cold (usually hot). The fan or something is running. There is no clicking sound. It sounds like it is running but it is not cooling at all.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.

Appliance Tech Dave :

Hello. Co the fan in the freezer is running and the fan in the back underneath is running but it is not cooling at all? Is the wall in the back of the freezer cold at all?

Customer:

Hello?

Appliance Tech Dave :

I am here. Can you see my question back to you?

Customer:

oh - sorry

Customer:

The wall is not cold nor hot

Customer:

the air coming out is cool - not cold.

Customer:

It's likely close to room temperature but feels cold, as it is blowing

Appliance Tech Dave :

Thanks. If both fans are running you will need to pull out the refrigerator and take off the rear bottom panel. The compressor is the large black metal motor. Is it hot?

Customer:

ok - give me a sec.

Customer:

It is warm. Not HOT.

Customer:

Definitely warm to the touch.

Customer:

MAN - there's like 10 screws on that panel!! A little over engineering

Customer:

My husband said that there was hair clogging the fresh air intake that he cleaned out. I'm not sure if that points to anything.

Appliance Tech Dave :

Can you tell if the compressor is running? It would be a slight humming and you should feel some vibration.

Customer:

Yep - it's running

Appliance Tech Dave :

Okay, That is not good. If there is no frost on the back wall of the freezer it means that either the compressor is not pumping properly or that there is a leak in the refrigeration tubing. The warranty on this has only been 1 year on product built since about 2007 or 2008. You can check you owners manual to be sure. This will be an expensive repair and requires special equipment from a certified technician. Sorry for the bad news. Dave

Customer:

Ballpark expensive -We have had this unit for so long.

Customer:

purchased 10 years ago

Customer:

anywhere in the $500 range is not worth replacing for me. Is this what is called a "sealed unit" problem?

Appliance Tech Dave :

If it was the compressor it could be $500. A leak will depend how fast they find it and what needs to be repaired or replaced. At least $250 to $300.

Appliance Tech Dave :

Sealed system is the compressor and all the refrigeration tubing.

Customer:

Ok - thanks. XXXXX can sell it to a repair person - Everything else about it is pristine. DARN - I wish I could keep the icemaker :-)

Customer:

Thanks - that answers my question - I figured it was something to do with the coolant. No leaks that I see, but I don't kniw what kind of coolant refrigerators use - so, who know.

Appliance Tech Dave :

I know what you mean! I have a bottom mount myself and I stay away from the dispenser through the door because it is much less to go wrong. Best wishes to you.

Appliance Tech Dave :

The coolant vaporizes when it comes out and is odorless and colorless.

Customer:

Thanks - have a fantastic day.

Appliance Tech Dave :

Welcome. U 2

Experience: 30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi I forgot to ask this. Which brand of refrigertor should I trust and which should I avoid?

I have a Kitchen Aid and they are made by Whirlpool, Whirlpool, Amana, Jenn-Air etc, are all made by Whirlpool. They are the what I recommend.

Thanks.