Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

(Appliance Doc Only) Hey, Appliance Doc, I cant get a good

(Appliance Doc Only) Hey, Appliance Doc, I can't get a good exploded diagram of a Kenmore bottom freezer where I'm probably going to have to deal with the Evaporator Drain Pan. I have a diagram from Sears Direct but it's quite small. Wondered if you could find something better?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
Well hello again!

Unfortunately for this unit I will not have the information you are looking for so I will refer an expert to help you, but I'll opt out and I do apologize about the wait.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is Kelly and I look forward to helping you! Snow on top of the freezer ceiling and around the ice maker is caused by warm air entering the compartment, condensing and freezing. With bottom freezers, it is very common for the drawer to become unable to close tightly because of a food product being in the way. It is not easy to see, especially if the most of the gap is at the bottom of the drawer. I suspect you will only need to thoroughly thaw the frost and assure that the bottom drawer closes smoothly and completely. As for a breakdown picture, the ones below will likely be sufficient.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

View Full Image

View Full Image
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Hey, Kelly, I went over there and temps were good for freezer and fresh food. Not lots of snow but some ice crystals on back. Nothing huge. I figured with some ice I'd be clearing the evaporator drain pan, but removed the panel and the evaporator was clean. Then observed and poured glass of water down the pan outlet and it drained fine. Maybe just got too much humidity with the door partly open, like you said? I wiped out all the moisture and reassembled. Told the customer to monitor and see if it happens again and not to leave the door open. 'Bout all I could do, right?

Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
I agree that you have done all you can do if it is working correctly. The system will quickly build ice crystals and snow if a door is left open, so I am quite certain that is what happened. I don't believe you will be going back on this one. I believe you did a very thorough job inspecting all angles, so I would not have a second thought about it. Good job!
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!