Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

My washer will not start it is a maytag lat4000aaw

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..does your machine make any noise when you try and start it?

Customer:

No

Randy 43 :

you tried something else in the outlet to confirm it works? if you lift the lid up and down slowly can you hear a click?

Customer:

The washer is not here it is at my customers and I did try to push the lid switch manuallly and I don"t remember a click

Randy 43 :

most of the time if it doesnt start it is the lid switch assembly . you should hear a click when lifting up and down , it comes as a assembly with a fuse also , it could be the fuse or poor contacts on the switch , i would be looking at this part as the most likely issue

Randy 43 :

Lid Switch Assembly 22001682 Main Product View
Full Size Image

Randy 43 : Lid Switch Assembly 22001682

RepairClinic Item #1468 (OEM Part)

$31.15

Washer lid switch assembly complete with fuse *Open fuse indicates bad lid switch assembly.

Manufacturer Number 22001682

More

In Stock

Quantity:

Customer:

I tested fuse which is under cover and had power on both ends of fuse

Randy 43 :

so you got continuity thru the fuse? the switch is right there as well it you lift up on it and down there should be a click of the switch

Randy 43 :

lift up on the lid i meant

Customer:

I am not at washer sight however if not switch which I think is ok what do you think

Randy 43 :

I would firslt think power to the machine then the lid switch ,if those are ok i would suspect a bad timer ..

Customer:

should the agitator be able to move ?

Randy 43 :

agitator wont move until the motor turns the transmission ..nothing is happening correct? no water ? no motor ?

Customer:

Yes no water and no motor

Randy 43 :

first it has to fill then there is a pressure switch that sends power to the motor when the selected water level is achieved then the motor runs and turns the transmission which the agitator is attached to , but everything runs thru the lid switch ,

Customer:

What would you suggest I do?

Randy 43 :

i would confirm that you have 120 volts at the wall outlet ..check the switch and fuse for continuity (if you have a meter?) visually check for any broken or shorted wires ,if that is all ok i would change the timer

Customer:

What is timer part number?

Randy 43 :

let me check

Randy 43 : Timer 22001570

RepairClinic Item #454340 (OEM Part)

Timer

Manufacturer Number 22001570

More
Randy 43 :

this is the timer part number , not available at repair clinic but other parts stores may have it , but i would confirm for sure the other things first before installing the timer

Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert