Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Cant get clean cycle to stop

Cant get clean cycle to stop
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So can you explain why you don't think the clean cycle is stopping?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
door is still locked and cooling fan is running......for days.....have to turn power off to get it to stop
OK so the cooking fan will continue to run if the oven door is locked or if the oven thinks it's still hot inside. Now this means that you either have a bad sensor or a bad door lock assembly. The oven sensor is mounted to the back wall inside the oven. You'll need to un-install the oven and remove the back panel to unplug the sensor and test the resistance of the sensor. The sensor should have a resistance of about 1080 ohms. if not, then the sensor needs to be ordered and replaced.

Now since that's quite a task, I'm not sure if this is a job that you would want to do yourself, but that's what needs to be done. As for a failed lock---if the sensor tests good then you need to replace the door lock. Try turning the breaker off to the unit for 60 seconds to see if it will reset.  When you turn the circuit breaker on go inside and push on the door and hold it for a minute or two in case it's rubbing on the door latch not letting it release. If that doesn't work, then try to set the self clean, wait 60 seconds and cancel it to see if that will reset the door latch assembly.  If nothing resets the door lock, then you just need to manually open the door and replace the door latch assembly.  It's not easy to manually unlock the door.  You'll need to use a coat hanger and pull the latch assembly from RIGHT to LEFT by slipping it down between the door and the oven frame at the top.  Force the latch over to the left and open the door, then you can remove the panel in front of the door latch and replace the latch assembly.

Now I do want to also add that you may need something stronger than a coat hanger to manually open the door. If you have an "L-shaped" tool like a cotter pin puller or allen wrench, that might give you the added strength to be able to pull on the latch and release it.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!