Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

WE USED OUR MICROWAVE. WHEN WE WERE DONE AND SHUT THE DOOR

WE USED OUR MICROWAVE. WHEN WE WERE DONE AND SHUT THE DOOR IT CONTINUES TO RUN, BUT WITH THE LIGHT OUT. I UNPLUGGED, LET SIT FOR 45 MINUTES, AND WHEN PLUGGED BACK IN THE SAME PROBLEM HAPPENS. WE MOVED IN TO THIS NEW CONSTRUCTION HOME 7 MONTHS AGO AND IT'S A NEW MICROWAVE. HELP!!
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting us to help you with this appliance question.

The problem here is either going to be the control board or the door switch. This is not a good DIY fix because factory test equipment will be needed to accurately diagnose the problem plus the unit stores lethal voltage even when unplugged.

I recommend you take the unit down and take it to a experienced workshop to have it fixed. The cost would be anywhere between $150 - $250, Bearing in mind that most new units cost around $229 you may want to look for a new unit.

After the warning given if you decide you want to fix this yourself and have a multi meter and amp meter I would be happy to assist you further :)

I would like to earn your highest rating, are you totally satisfied with my answer? If not please reply to me with your concerns or additional questions. If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction, please don't forget to rate me before you leave.

It was my pleasure helping you today. Feel free to get back to me here at any time if you have additional questions at no further charge. Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Please also remember if you have future questions regarding a faulty appliance, You can request me personally to assist you with the problem :)

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

SO YOU'RE SAYING I NEED A NEW MICROWAVE BASICALLY? WHEN THE DOOR IS SHUT THE TURNTABLE DOES NOT MOVE, NO LIGHT COMES ON, I DON'T THINK THERE IS ANY HEAT RELEASED ( I'M TOO PARANOID TO LEAVE THE DOOR SHUT FOR MORE THAN 5 SECONDS) AND THE MICROWAVE JUST HUMS. IS THERE A MASTER RESET BUTTON/INPUT THAT I CAN TRY. THE MICROWAVE IS ONLY 6 MONTHS OLD?? THOUGHTS?

Sorry It is not the news you wanted to hear Matt but it really does sound like a problem either with a door switch or with the control board, There is no reset on microwaves, if the unit were completely dead then I could point you toward the fuse, in this case it will either be one of those problems.

It will need diagnosis and parts, Now the good news here is if the unit is 6 months old then it's covered by the warranty so you can have sears come out and fix it for free.

Give them a call to schedule service, If you need the number let me know.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

MIKE,

THANK YOU FOR THE INFO. I REALLY DO APPRECIATE IT. MY MAIN CONCERN IS THAT WE'RE ARE HEADING OUT OF TOWN TOMORROW FOR A WEEK. OUR NEIGHBORS WILL BE IN AND OUT OF THE HOUSE, AND PARENTS WILL BE HERE FOR A NIGHT OR TWO. IS THIS A DANGER IF LEFT UNPLUGGED, OR IS IT OK TO LEAVE UNPLUGGED AND WORRY ABOUT WHEN WE GET BACK?

You can leave it unplugged no problem and worry about it when you get back Matt, There is absolutely no danger when unplugged unless you start pulling it apart.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

PEACE OF MIND IS WORTH EVERY PENNY. YOU'LL GET A GOOD RATING FROM ME MIKE. THANK YOU VERY MUCH! IT SUCKS, BUT IT'S LIFE. HAVE A GREAT REST OF THE WEEK

You too , have a safe trip!

Thanks!

Mike.