Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

Have a whirlpool gas dryer, It does not stay hot. I open it

Have a whirlpool gas dryer, It does not stay hot. I open it up to chech ignighter. When I run it it will click once but does not ignite, But then it will click again and ignighter will glow and light up machine, But then it cuts off after 10 sec after firing up. Machine is not staying hot to dry clothes.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting us to help you with this appliance question.

Can you give me a minute to look up the model number please.
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Ok Tom thanks for that.

Have you checked anything as of yet?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Mike Im sorry but are you able to resolve my problem, I cant wait all day.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Tom I responded with a question, you did not respond, Have you checked the airflow on the dryer?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No waht do you mean. I never received that request.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Ok Tom lets start again, this should go fairly quickly since this is a common problem.

Pull the machine out from the wall then remove the vent, try a load of clothes on a 30 minute cycle, if there is no improvement then take the panel off in the rear, next pull the filter out from the top of the machine, Remove the screws from under the filter then go around back and take the 4 screws out on the lower half of the lint filter chute. Pull the chute (tube right out of the machine and clean inside the chute. Next put it all back together and try the machine. If this clears the problem up great! If not your problem will be the 2 coils on top of the valve, they are shorting as voltage is being applied and not opening the valve.

I forgot to mention once the vent at the rear is taken off and you try a load if the unit does begin to work correctly you have a blockage in the vent between the machine and the outside of the house.

I would like to earn your highest rating, are you totally satisfied with my answer? If not please reply to me with your concerns or additional questions. If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction, please don't forget to rate me before you leave.

It was my pleasure helping you today. Feel free to get back to me here at any time if you have additional questions at no further charge. Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Please also remember if you have future questions regarding a faulty appliance, You can request me personally to assist you with the problem :)

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Mike I did as you stated. I removed the back pannel as well as the flute and all is clear no blockage, The fan moves freely also. Problem is still the fact the ignighter does not stay on long enough to keep dryer hot. As for coils are you referin to the 2 mounted in front of the ignighter, Also How do I check them to see if bad.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
The problem here is you cant see if they are bad, They would read normal if you test them with a ohm meter while disconnected, they short while in operation, Luckily they are cheap enough a part that you can replace them to test the theory. This is a extremely common problem that always boils down to either a restriction in the airflow or the coils.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Mike should I take it that both are bad, and replace both . Never the less you will receive the highest rating possible.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
They are actually sold as a pair cheaper. Part number 279834 around $13 depending on where you buy them :)

Thanks!

Mike.

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Hi Tom,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? If you are still having a problem please feel free to come back for additional assistance.

Let me know,