Rick
Rick, Repair Guy
Experience:  25 years service experience as a technician. Experienced on both high end and regular appliances.
15929851

I have a GE arctica fridge side by side, it displays a code

I have a GE arctica fridge side by side, it displays a code : on open b (cicle on b is open, like a c with a line going up) and a c (bc) what is the meaning of this code. The freezer is icing up, changed defrost element, fan is not working. it could be the motor, it could be the board. i am hoping the code gives the answer.

Rick :

Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you today

Rick :

I believe you have a tc error code and not a bc

Rick :

Give me a second to look up and we will move forward here

Customer:

unless the display is bad it is not a t , it is a c with an arm going up the left

Rick :

I know that is what it looks like but when you call GE they say it is a tc, that is why the b is open in the front

Rick :

Have you tried unplugging for 5 minutes and restarting unit?

Customer:

ok, but a t would not have a horizontal bar on the bottom

Customer:

not for 5 minutes, 1 minute, can try 5 minutes. I know the fan motor is not running, the parts store suggests the board may be wrong ($180)

Rick :

I believe that you have a bad thermistor, telling the board the wrong information

Rick :

More like a 9 dollar part

Customer:

You might be right, on the motor replacement is a thermistor. The original I cooled down to 30. it is not closing. Will try the same on the new one, to see if it closes.

Rick :

here is the link to the thermistor you need to repair your unit.

Customer:

what does the tc code mean?

Rick :

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Thermistor/WR55X10025/914093?RCAID=1000116

Rick :

I dont know what GE says it means it is just a code for us, but if you look up a TC error code you will be directed to the thermistor to check and if that checks good then the main control. I did not look up the price of the main control, because 8 out of 10 times I replace the thermistor and never hear back from the custome

Rick :

Just make sure you defrost the unit, and then install the part. With the unit off the time it takes you to replace the part, when you restart the unit with power it will reset the main control and that should be the last you need to worry about your unit.

Rick :

If you are wanting to check the thermistor they usually read around 1000 to 1100 ohms at room temperature

Customer:

the old and the new read 4.7K, practical the same. I have a new motor and thermistor assembly, will plug it in and see. will be back

Rick :

ok

Customer:

it was the motor / thermistor assembly. I have to wait for everything to cool down.

Rick :

Im glad you got it solved

Rick :

If you need any other help please feel free to ask, also please rate before you leave.

Customer:

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX