Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Inglis super capacity top loader model IJ41001 may be fine

My Inglis super capacity top loader model IJ41001 may be fine or it may not be but I suspect not. Here's the issue:

At the end of the rinse cycle, the water drains out with the tub stationary (not spinning). Then everything is still for a minute, then some water pours in, it stops and then some more water pours in etc. If I lift the lid up and put it down any time during this period (in effect, turn off and on the safety switch) the tub begins to spin. The final spin cycle seems to work properly.

My question is: should the tub spin when the water is draining after the rinse cycle? And if it should, how do I fix this problem?

Tyler Z. :

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Tyler Z. :

So you are correct that this is definitely not how the unit is supposed to work

Tyler Z. :

Or I should say that it POSSIBLY isn't working as intended.

Tyler Z. :

Let the washer run through a cycle. Here is how it should work. At the end of the rinse cycle, the water drains out with the tub stationary (not spinning). Then everything is still for a minute, then some water pours in, it stops and then some more water pours in.\

Tyler Z. :

The washer should then start draining the water out WITHOUT spinning the tub.

Tyler Z. :

At some point, the washer cuts power to the motor for half a second and that will allow the transmission to engage and start spinning

Tyler Z. :

It doesn't want to spin the tub while there could be water in the tub, so that is why it delays the spin cycle.

Tyler Z. :

Now by opening the lid like you're doing, you're forcing the timer to cut power to the motor which is why it will go in spin

Tyler Z. :

If the timer won't do this on it's own and cut power and the cycle ends without ever going into the spin cycle---you need a new timer

Tyler Z. :

If it does go into spin on it's own, then everything is working properly

Customer:

Hi

Customer:

I tried the machine on the "normal" cycle without triggering the safety switch (I kept the lid open with a pencil stuck in the switch slot so I could watch) and the spin cycle failed to happen--soggy clothes at the end of the process. I tried again on the "casuals" cycle and the spin cycle worked properly. I could try it on "delicate" but I imagine this is all the information you need.

Hello, was there something else I can help you with?

OK perfect, so if it wouldn't go into spin on the normal cycle, then the timer itself would need to be replaced I'm afraid.