Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a whirlpool fridge that isnt getting cold. Fan in freezer

I have a whirlpool fridge that isn't getting cold. Fan in freezer is blowing but not cold. Model number is XXXXX 0
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So both the refrigerator and the freezer are not running?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They are running and blowing but not cold air

Ok can you pull the refrigerator out and remove the lower back access panel? The. Touch the big black round compressor and is it blazing hot, warm, or room temperature?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There's a fan blowing on it. The compressor is cool, I guess room temp

OK so that's a problem because the compressor should always be running when the fan next to it is running. This means that your compressor is overloading and cutting out.  It will turn off for a few minutes and then try again over and over.  Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator.  Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor.  There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it.  This is your overload relay.  Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it.  If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced.  If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I took off the relay and it rattles. Can you send me the part number please?

Sure thing. Here is a link to the part. It has been re-designed so it may not look quite the same.

CLICK HERE