Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

I have a Whirlpool Cabrio gas dryer model wgd6200sw2. the

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool Cabrio gas dryer model wgd6200sw2. the dryer was not heating up to dry clothes. I took a shotgun approach to the repair and replaced the thermal fuse, the coil valves the flame sensor and the ignitor.

I put everything back together and started the dryer, I have heat which is great, but the sensor light on the control panel never gets off from sensing status.

I also cleaned the sensor inside the dryer with rubbing alcohol and the sensing light continued to remain on during the cycle.

So bottomline is I am getting heat now, but the sensing light seems to be reducing the drying time and the items are still damp when cycle has completed.

Wondering if replacing the sensor would be the most likely cause of this issue or some other part?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized Whirlpool service tech and I can help you today.

Jon :

To answer your last question, "replacing the sensor would be the most likely cause of this issue or some other part?", my answer is yes and no.

Jon :

to clarify, yes the sensor being replaced could cause this issue if you have a bad sensor. Or if you have forgotten to plug the connections in.

Jon :

and No, this is not the only cause for the the sensor light to stay illuminated. I have seen a clogged dryer vent cause this. So please do this.

Jon :

first remove the dryer venting in the back of the dryer and let the dryer run without the venting attached. It will be completely fine for you to run the dryer like this for s hort period of time as we check. You can actually run the dryer like this for days. But you may not be happy about the lint and moisture in the air around the dryer. It is just to test the machine.

Jon :

So disconnect the venting and run the dryer on a timed dry setting and tell me if the sensor light goes off?

Jon :

If it does, clean your dryer venting out.

Jon :

If not, then replace the sensor or check the wiring down below to make sure it is connected properly. If it is connected properly replace the sensor and the thermistor on the blower housing next to the thermal fuse. This will fix your problem.

Jon :

Please get back to me here if you have more questions and I will continue helping you.

Customer:

ok, let me do what you recommended

Jon :

If you don't have any other questions now please remember to rate my performance below this chat with ok service or better rating. And if you still have more questions after rating me please come back to me here at any time and I will help you again for no additional charge.

Jon :

Thanks and please run those tests and get back to me here to tell me what you have found.

Customer:

how long does it typically take for sensing light to change to dry or damp

Jon :

Just so you have it, the part number for the thermistor is(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Jon :

It depends on how wet the close are?

Customer:

I threw about about 4 wet hand towels in there

Jon :

if they have gone into the dryer really wet, it could take as much as an hour. sometimes will only take about 15 minutes.

Customer:

for the sensor light to change?

Jon :

and how long did you give the light to go out? or when you checked the towels, were they dry? and light still on?

Jon :

yes, that is right, for the light to change to dry.

Customer:

when I turned it on, the timer said 40 minutes...

Jon :

if the clothes were dry and the light was still sensing clothes were wet, and the connector below is conncted just fine, i recommend replacing the moisture sensor and the thermistor.

Jon :

ok. and were the clothes still wet?

Customer:

I let the timer run down to about 7 minutes and the towels were still damp

Customer:

light was still on as well

Jon :

if they were still wet and the sensor light still shows damp and drying, then let it run until the clothes are dry and check it again. if the clothes come out dry and the sensor is still sensing that they are wet, replace the sensor.

Jon :

ok. gotcha, i am a little behind in getting your responses here. sorry.

Jon :

I would change the sensor then and the thermistor. cheap parts.

Customer:

when you say check the wiring down below what wiring am I checking?

Customer:

so the sensor in the drum and the thermistor

Jon :

There is a wire connector, even two on some models, for the moisture sensor that is just inside the drum ont he inside of the lint screen. The wire goes from the metal strips on the lint screen to harness belwo the machine.

Jon :

check the harness just below the lint screen.

Jon :

sorry

Jon :

the sensor pad moisture sensor is in the back of the machine.

Jon :

just under the screen where the heater gets blown into the dryer drum.

Jon :

it is part number(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Jon :

check the wiring to it in back of the dryer. just infront of the lint screen housing that is metal.

Jon :

if you dont see any loose or disconnected wires then replace the sensor pad assembly.

Jon :

and remember to remove the dryer venting as well to be sue the venting is not partially clogged.

Customer:

did not see any wires hanging or loose connections.

Jon :

ok. so then replace the moisture sensor pad assembly.

Jon :

did you see the part number i included above?

Customer:

so still recommend replace thermistor and sensor?

Jon :

if not here it is again, the sensor assembly(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Jon :

yes. for sure replace the thermistor and sensor.

Jon :

that should do it.

Jon :

I see this problem often

Customer:

I used appliance parts pros for the parts, is that the website you recommend using, they shipped fast and part cost seemed reasonable?

Jon :

and if the wires are good then replace the sensor and thermistor. not one or the other. both have to be replaced at the same time.

Jon :

let me check pricing there.

Jon :

i usually use a local place called marcone. they usually have the best price.

Customer:

ok, I will check it out.

Customer:

appreciate help, I will replace those two parts and hopefully that will take care of it...I replaced almost everything else

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Rick.

Thank you for the positive rating and very generous bonus as well. It is greatly appreciated.

Should you have more questions please get back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.