Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Where is the defrost timer?

Where is the defrost timer?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So the defrost timer is actually a defrost control board under the refrigerator. You would need to remove the lower front vent panel below the doors and there is a box that you need to remove to access the control board inside it. The problem is that this board is no longer made, but you can try to locate one. The part number you'd need is 12050506. Check for continuity through the heater and defrost thermostat to make sure they are good. Then if they check ok, good luck with finding the part because it will definitely not be easy.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where would I check for continuity I have the box open looking at the board. Nothing is running on this unit only the light is on
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
You can't check the board. You can only check the heater and the thermostat. If both of those check good---then you replace the board by default.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So how can I ck the heater?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
yes. That runs along the bottom of where the frost is building up behind the lower back panel inside the freezer. The heater is shaped like a U sort of and looks like an oven bake element.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I know if the heated is bad
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
There are 2 wires attached to the heater. Just unplug them and check resistance through the heater. You should have between 5 and 50 ohms. If not, then you need a new heater.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why are no fans or motors running
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
That's all controlled by that control board. The control board does a lot more than just controls the defrost---it also controls most of the refrigerator functions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So it probably the control board
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Aye, that's what it sounds like to me as well.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.