Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

I have a ge profile, slide in booktop/oven. I turned on the

I have a ge profile, slide in booktop/oven. I turned on the gas and the electric ignitor keeps clicking and won't turn on burner. I shut off at electrical box. What is the problem so that when I call a service person they don't rip me off. What part would be needed. The only thing I noticed different about the one that wont lite is it has a pin point black speck next to the part that sparks?
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting us to help you with this appliance question.

Just to clarify the ignition continues to spark regardless of if the knobs are in the off position?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes

Thanks Carol, Can you tell me if any liquid was spilled prior to this happening?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I pulled a bag of meat with juice from microwave above the stove and it landed on the counter adjacent to cooktop but splattered juice on knob of burner in question and possible a bit splattered onto the cover over the burner but not into the open space for ignitor.

Ok don't call a repair man just yet, leave the unit unplugged for 24 hours, liquid has got into the igniter switches which has shorted one out, If after 24 hours you plug the unit back in the unit starts sparking then call a repair man, He will need to replace the switches, This would cost around $160 depending on region.

Most of the time drying the switches out will fix the problem carol :)

I would like to earn your highest rating, are you totally satisfied with my answer? If not please reply to me with your concerns or additional questions. If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction, please don't forget to rate me before you leave.

It was my pleasure helping you today. Feel free to get back to me here at any time if you have additional questions at no further charge. Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Please also remember if you have future questions regarding a faulty appliance, You can request me personally to assist you with the problem :)

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So the switches that got wet were under the knob? We have had the power off to over since about this time last night.

Yes the switches are mounted to the valves under the knobs, One or more have shorted, if 24 hours dry time did not fix the problem then the switches will need to be replaced. The switches are not a expensive part.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is the black speck on the ignitor button thing mean anything?

No does not sound like anything, If the igniter's are clicking you can bet your house the switches are the problem.

Thanks!

Mike.

Thanks for the positive rating :)