Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

Hello, My GE Profile PGCS1PJXC SS LED light in the fresh food

My GE Profile PGCS1PJXC SS LED light in the fresh food area stopped working. Can you please provide me with any troubleshooting recommendations?
Thanks,
Ben
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting us to help you with this appliance question.

Hi Ben, do you mean the light on the control console that sets the temp?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

sorry, no.

The LED light inside the fridge is not working. The fridge itself is working fine, and the light in the freezer is working fine.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Ok so just to clarify Ben we are talking the light that turns on when the door is opened.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes, that is correct. I was going to order a new one but saw how expensive the assembly is and started looking online for answers. i saw something about possibly just replacing a fuse.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Ok can you give me a minute to look the model number up please?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

sure thing

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Ok Ben yes there is a fuse in the machine compartment part 601, the tranny is part 600, you would have to pull the unit out from the wall, remove the screws holding the tranny mount in place then pull the fuse and test it with a ohm meter, if it reads open you can get a replacement fuse from home depot or lowes.

graphic

If the fuse ends up being good then the problem will either be with the door switch or the light assembly.

I would like to earn your highest rating, are you totally satisfied with my answer? If not please reply to me with your concerns or additional questions. If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction, please don't forget to rate me before you leave.

It was my pleasure helping you today. Feel free to get back to me here at any time if you have additional questions at no further charge. Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Please also remember if you have future questions regarding a faulty appliance, You can request me personally to assist you with the problem :)

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

one question. how do i test the fuse to see if it reads "open"?

i do have an ohm meter. i can put the dial to "ohm"

then what?

thanks

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Yes set the fuse to the ohms reading, If it's a digital meter it should give you a tone if the fuse is good, no tone the fuse is bad.

If the old style meter then if the needle moves the fuse is good, if the needle does not move it's bad.

If the fuse is the glass type then you will be able to see if it is blown visually, if the ceramic type it will need to be tested. Alternately you can take it to home depot or lowes and have the guy from the electrical section test it or to a electrical supplier.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

is the tranny (part 600) a silver box with a "CAUTION: FUSE 250V 3A MAX" sticker on it?

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
That should be it.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok. i finally got the fuse out. it's the glass type. the straight wire inside the glass looks fine. i tested it by placing the leads on the silver ends of the fuse and the needle moved all the way up to the green 1. so i think the fuse is ok.

now what?

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Ok you would need to unplug the unit from the wall, Go around the front, around the door aperture you will see the door switch for the fridge. Lever this out with a screw driver, disconnect the wires, put your testers on the switch after the wires are moved, the switch should read open when pushed (needle does not move) then when the switch is released the needle will move. If in both positions the needle does not move replace the door switch, if the needle does move replace the light assembly.

Another way to test this is to remove the light assembly, disconnect it from the wire harness, set your meter to the dc volts range and with the door open you should read 12v dc, if you have 12 v dc then the light assembly is bad.

Click here to order the light assembly

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

i did the light fixture option, and i'm not getting any needle movement

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Ok you have it set to the dc voltage range....make sure you are not set to ohms or ac voltage
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes, it was set to DCV, and i tried the 10 & 50 range.

i also just tested both door sensors. while set to ohms, they both worked correctly and needle went down after pressing it in.

i accidentally ripped the one sensor wire off it's crimp housing. so i have some wire repair work now also. ugh!

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Ok if the switches are good, there is no voltage to the light, then without doubt the control board is the problem. This is what sends the voltage to the light switch.

If you need the part number ben let me know.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes, please give me the info on the control board.

is that part #801 on the drawing?

also, how much is that part?

thanks

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Yes it is part 801

Click here to order the board

Although this control maybe a couple of bucks more then another site I like them because you get the part in a couple of days and they have a zero quibble return policy and warranty for 1 year.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

thanks Mike.

i'll try the control board next.

thanks for your help.

can i have your email if i have any questions installing the control board?

ben

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
After rating me Ben you can come back to this question at any time for further assistance at no further cost, simply book mark this page or keep one of the emails you have been sent with my replies.

I am not allowed to give out my email or contact the customer outside of this box (site policy)

You should not need to come back though since this really is the only thing it can be, you've tested everything else.

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

well, i replaced the control board, and that didn't work; and i replaced the led light assembly and that didn't work.

i checked the fuse, and it's fine.

i also checked the door switches and they are fine.

any other suggestions before i call a local repair service?

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
The only thing I can think is the tranny might be shot, Try pulling the wire harnes and see if you are getting DC voltage from it.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

i'm not sure exactly where you want me to check the voltage?

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
The metal box in the rear where the fuse was located, not sure which wire it will be so pull the wire harness off then test it for dc voltage.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

i know which box it is, i just don't know where to test for the voltage?

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Let me see if I can find a wiring diagram for this model, will post back when I have located one Ben