Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a crosley refrigerator that is freezing up in the bottom

Customer Question

I have a crosley refrigerator that is freezing up in the bottom of the freezer and the refrigerator is not cooling
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Are you saying that you are seeing a clear sheet of ice forming on the floor of the freezer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no it is heavy snow

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
On the floor or on the back wall inside the freezer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

inside the freezer bottom back

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Ok perfect. So this means that the freezer isn't thawing properly. You'll need to pull everything out of the freezer and use a hair dryer to thaw the frost that you see. Then remove all the screws going into the back panel inside the freezer and thaw out all the frost behind these coils with a hair dryer. Most likely you have a bad defrost thermostat. There is a 1" round device clipped onto the silver coils above the frost. You need to remove this part and if you don't have continuity through this thermostat (if you have a multimeter to test), then replace the defrost thermostat. If you don't have a multimeter, just replace the thermostat anyways as it's by far the most likely part that fails.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Changed defrost thermostat out last week the refrigerator worked fine and now it is not cooling again. Same problem what do I need to do now?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So it sounds like your defrost thermostat wasn't the problem. That means you either have a bad defrost heater or a bad defrost timer if the thermostat was replaced properly and didn't come defective. You'll want to use a multimeter and test continuity through the heater element below the silver coils. You should have between 5 and 50 ohms resistance through the heater if it's good. If the heating element is good, that leaves only the defrost timer and the defrost timer would need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

will test and advise. Thanks.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Ok sounds good