Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

We have a Kenmore Elite 665 and the heating element wasnt

We have a Kenmore Elite 665 and the heating element wasn't heating. We replaced it only to find that it still doesn't work. The lights all work on the control panel. Any suggestions on what we should try or test next. FYI-after taking out the old heating element, we tested it and it was fine.
Hello, and thank you for using this service as well as requesting me! I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So there are two possibilities other than the heater itself that would stop the dishwasher from heating. If you tip the dishwasher backwards and follow the wires going to the heating element, one of them plugs into a dime sized silver and black device with 2 wires plugged into it. This is your high limit thermostat. Test continuity through the thermostat and if it's open, replace it. If it tests good, the last possibility would be the control board inside the door in the upper right hand corner. You can't test the control board, but by process of elimination, the control board would need to be replaced.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The heat dry does not work either. Doesn't seem like it would be the thermostat.

So, the thermostat isn't really a "thermostat". It opens up and cuts power going to the element if it's too hot. That's why it's called a high limit thermostat. It should never actually be tripped, but sometimes it fails and causes this problem.