Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Thermador GCR486GD range. Thermastat for griddle not

I have a Thermador GCR486GD range. Thermastat for griddle not working. Part no longer available (OEM 00416176). The problem is the long copper wire from the sensor probe has broken.
1. Can this copper wire be soldered back together ?
2. Is there any substitute part for this part ? Looking online Thermador part 00415004 looks nearly identical.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

You can definitely not solder the wire back together. The way this works is that there are 2 kinds of metal in this long wire and they create an electrical charge back to the thermostat from the heat generated and that tells the thermostat when to break contact and when not to. That being said, there is no direct substitute, but part 00415004 will work, but the shaft will be longer so you may need to cut it down with a saw or something because the knob will stick out further than the old one.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Tyler.

Not a problem at all and I do wish you the best of luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I received the substitute part over the weekend and installed it. Trimmed down the shaft as you said. Looks great works perfectly. Thanks again.
No problem and I'm glad you have it all up and running again!