Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

refrig g e freezes very good but does not cool the

refrig g e freezes very good but does not cool the refrig. area . fan in bottom rear is working good. but no no cold air flows in.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you happen to have a model number so that I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker below top panel somewhere if you open the doors.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

numbers erased

OK so is this a french door refrigerator with a drawer freezer below the refrigerator section?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no side by side

OK then pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. What do the silver coils behind this lower back panel look like? Are they packed with frost? No frost? Lightly frosted from top to bottom? etc...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

to emp ty the whole freezer ?

Yes, unfortunately you will need to remove that lower back panel inside the freezer so at least half way down you need to remove everything out of the freezer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok this panel is mounted with 3 philips screws and 3 nuts to remove them ?

Something like that yes. You will need to remove the screws and hex nut screws to remove the panel.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

a lot of frost on the sides of both silver. a lot of frost on the bottom of both of them . and frost 50 % on middle and top of both

OK that's what I thought. This sounds like a common issue and it means that your unit is not longer defrosting in the freezer so the refrigerator is not able to steal air to cool down. You'll need to either unplug the unit for 24 hours or remove everything of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer to defrost it with a hair dryer. Once all the frost is thawed out, the unit will start working again. To make sure the problem doesn't come back, you'll want to replace the defrost heater. GE's defrost heaters fail often because they are nothing more than a long glass light bulb. Order and replace the defrost heater at the bottom of all the frost and you should be good to go. Now since you can't read your model number, you'd need to bring the heater into a parts store so they can match it up and give you the correct defrost heater to replace it.

Now I did want to point out that there are a few other possibilities like the defrost timer/control board or the defrost sensor, but these rarely fail on this model and there is no way to test the heater for certain to know if it's good or not. The reason is because that the heater is glass and can get water inside of it when it fails so it will show good continuity even when it's bad sometimes. That's why the best course of action is to replace the heater since it's by far the most common problem. Also, if you happen to remove the back panel and the coils aren't packed with frost, then that would mean the fan above the coils is likely not running which will generate the same symptoms. You'll need to order and replace the evaporator fan motor if this is the case.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i defrosted it and i ll continue tommorow and try to understand your last reply my brain is off god bless you for all that you had done for us

OK good luck. Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i was away for 10 days . all frost etc. i saw that the glass of the heater is black. i ll try to change it today. i saw that there is another heater that looks the same about 15 inches above the lower one .do i have to change it too ? i can say that the coils above boths heaters are with the same "amount" of frost. also ican say that the higher heater covers double area of coils then the lower one . please reply asap thanks tyler.

So if you have two heaters, the heaters should come as a kit with both heaters, but you'll need the model number to get the correct heater kit.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi tyler i just installed the 2 heaters it comes with a whole "harness'. i did not put the cover back to see how its doing . is it ok or to put everything back?

Aye, you need to put the cover back on or it can't circulate the air properly and it will cause problem. But you're right, it comes with the wire harness and the defrost thermostat. It's all one kit with the heater. Either way, just button everything back up if you've defrosted all the frost and you can put everything back and you should be good to go again.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

looks good 7 am. but it seems to me that the refrig. does not stop working

Unless everything wasn't thawed out completely, it should be working fine.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi tyler. it keeps working non stop. when i open the freezer door i hear and feel the cold air being pushed.again iwant to say that the freezer and refrig. are doing fine

OK awesome. If you need anything else, just let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is it normal that it does not stop ?

It runs more than 80% of it's life, so that doesn't sound too out of the ordinary to me.