Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

HOW TO REPLACE PART WR17X12277 ON A GE REFRIGERATOR model

HOW TO REPLACE PART WR17X12277 ON A GE REFRIGERATOR model PFCS1NJW
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So to be clear, you're trying to replace the plastic bracket inside the dispenser panel, is that correct? And have you removed the front face of the dispenser yet?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I want to replace the plastic bracket and no I have not removed the front face yet. I don't want to break it by trying to remove it incorrectly.

OK so that front face is just clipped into place. If you grab under the front lip of the front face with all the buttons, you can pull on it and unclip it to remove it. Be sure to unplug the refrigerator before servicing it. That will expose the plastic bracket that you're looking to replace which should just have a screw in each corner to remove and then it will pull off for replacement.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Any special place to push on or lift up on the front plate?

Not really. Just grab to the left and right of the middle area and pull out on the bottom to unclip it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. The front plate is off but wouldn't it help to push up on the plastic clips through the holes in the bracket? They did not break but it might have made it alittle less stress on them. Thanks for your help.

You can certainly do that, but it's really not necessary. I've never had one break. Possibly as plastic gets older and these units get older you would need to do that, but not at it's current age.