Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Hello John, Two medium burner of my JennAir gas cooktop

Hello John,

Two medium burner of my JennAir gas cooktop (JGC8536BDS) are not working properly (the large one and the two small ones work great):

1) One (left top) clicks for about 30 seconds in the morning, even after the flame is turned on. Afterwards it is fine.
2) Another one (lower right) died about one month ago. I just replaced the ignitor. The new ignitor clicks for about 10 seconds before turning on, causing a small gas explosion. My wife does not think it is very safe, which I would agree.

Can you help? Thanks,

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

1. The top left burner could either have a bad spark tip, a bad spark module, or the spark tip is just dirty and needs to be cleaned. Swap the back left spark tip with a spark tip that you know is working. If it still has a problem--you definitely need a new spark module. If the issue corrects itself by swapping spark igniter tips, then try to clean the old one with sand paper so that the metal tip senses the flame better. If that doesn't work, then replace the spark tip.

2. You need to make sure that the spark tip is sparking consistently while it's clicking. Just watch it closely when it's trying to light to see if you see s spark each time it clicks. If so, then the gas is just not flowing properly and you can try to clean the burner base with a toothbrush, or you may just need to replace the burner base because it might have warped or something to that effect because the gas isn't flowing out properly.

Now if you find that it's not sparking consistently and the spark tip is new, the spark module needs to be replaced. There is only 1 spark module which controls the spark to all the burners.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Tyler.

On item 2, the screw that holds down the spark tip rusted out, so the spark tip is currently being held down, but not tied to the base with a screw. Would this matter, or should I can a new base?

Also, if I need to replace the spark module, do I need to remove the entire cooktop and open it up? Do you have a link to show how to do it?

As long as the spark module is secure, it shouldn't matter how it's held down to be honest. Unfortunately there is no link to show you how to remove the entire cooktop, but that's not needed anyways. Once you remove the burner caps and remove the screws going into the burner bases, just pull the burner knobs off and the entire top just pulls up and off to expose the module below.