Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

whirlpool model ED22RFXW01 side by side temperature not regulating.

whirlpool model ED22RFXW01 side by side temperature not regulating. temperature (for freezer & refridgerator) can go from 70 degrees (all food ruined) to 20 degrees (everything freezes).
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So the first thing you need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Can you look at the coils behind the panel and tell me what the frost build up looks like on the coils? Is the fan above the coils running?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi, yes the fan is running & the coils do not have much frost build up

Can can you describe the frost? are the coils slightly covered in frost from top to bottom? Some frost on top but not on bottom? etc..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay, the very top row of coils has no u go down, each row has a little more. The bottom has the most, but still not alot

OK so that's a problem. Next, you need to pull the refrigerator out and remove the lower back access panel behind the entire unit. Is the fan next to the big black round compressor running?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will have to wait for help with that, but I can hear the fridge running

OK, just let me know when you can. That should really be one of the last checks we need to do before knowing what the problem is.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

k, it wasn't as heavy to move as i thought...yes fan is running

OK then unfortunately you can try to clean the coils below the refrigerator in case it's causing the compressor to run inefficiently, but other than that, you have a freon leak or an inefficient compressor. For this issue you'd need to call a technician out to check the freon pressure and determine if you have a freon leak or a bad compressor.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can u give me an estimate on how much that would cost to fix?

If you have a freon leak, it would be about $350-400 to repair. If you have a bad compressor, it would be about $550 or so to have the compressor replaced.