Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

Samsung front load washer, Model WF350ANW/XAA does not drain.

Customer Question

Samsung front load washer, Model WF350ANW/XAA does not drain. Pump seems to run inder a drain pump test (humms) but does not pump. I don't have 120v at the pump (about 30v) when the washer is in quick test mode and the pump is humming. I checked voltage at the PCB and I have about 30v coming out of Pin #3 of CN2 and no voltage coming out of Pin #2 of CN3. Please advise.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! To clarify, you tested power at the drain pump while it was humming and you read 30 VAC? Do you read 120 VAC when you test a wall outlet?
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
If you didn't have 110 volts comig from the outlet the washe would not power on. So please if you are sure you only ha 30 volts or so to the drain pump motor while in a drain cycle you will need to replace the main board.

But please first be sure the wires to the drain motor are not cut cracked or damaged in anyway. If they are not then you will have to replace the main board. That is the only part that send voltage to the drain motor.

Have you checked the drain pump filter before checking the voltage to the pump? Just want to make sure there is nothing that was previously clogged there?

Get back to me here and me know if you checked the drain filter and if you need the part info for the main board and I will giv that to you. Even tell your where your can get it cheaper.

Thanks.
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I now have 120v at the pump and it isn't just humming anymore. You saved me a lot of time and money. Thank you so much.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Dan,

Glad I could help. It usually is just the filter being clogged. And sometimes when you unplug the machine and reset it for a while that gets it going again.

If you have any other issues please just get back to me here and I will help you more.

Thanks again.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Dan,

Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Thank you again for coming directly to me this time. It will actually save you a lot of time. Sorry though that another jumped in. Don't know how they were allowed to do that. Must have been a glitch in the chat system.

Anyway. If you have more questions or concerns please get back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, it drained initially. Pumped the water right now.

Then I put a load of laundry in it, cycle it and it's doing the same thing again. Just making a humming noise and not pumping the water out. It pumped some water out, since when I opened the door a ton of water didn't come pouring out, but the laundry is soaking wet and it is giving me the "nd" error on the panel. What else do I have to do? I have been fighting with this thing all day and I can't figure it out.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
I have to run out in two minutes. But will be back after 7 pm to help you through the diagnostic procedure for the washer. Which we will need to do to determine if we have a bad drain motor or something else.

If you are not able to work in this tonight after 7pm eastern time please let me know when you will have time and I will walk you through the repair.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will be available. Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

Sorry for the delay. It has been an extremely busy day.

Ok so if this machine is now not draining again, but had previously earlier in the day, then we first will need to check the drain filter in the bottom front of the machine. If there is lint or change or anything else restricting the flow of water out of the machine you will get the "nd" error. Which is just simply the no drain error.

So I would advise checking the cleaning the rain filter again. And if you find any debris in there clean it out and check the flow of the water as it drains out of the drain hose. And to do that just access the drain hose that drains into the house plumbing and pull the drain hose up and out just enough so you can see the flow of water out of the drain hose as it is draining water out. If the flow of water is good and forceful then great. But if the flow is weak and water is barely dripping out then there has to be clog or pinch somewhere in the drain line that needs to be fixed.

After checking the drain filter and cleaning it and checking the flow of water at the drain hose if the machine is still not draining we can then check the voltage to the drain hose. To do that we will need access to the back of the machine and remove the rear access panel. There will be four or so screws on the back access panel so remove those and remove the access panel. This will give you access to the inside of the machine and to the drain motor.

You will need to remove the leads to the drain motor and check with your meter set to ac voltage again and check the voltage going to the drain pump at a drain cycle. If you have full 110 volts and still the drain motor just hums and doesn't drain water out then you will need to change the drain motor.

But if there is anything other then 110 volts to the drain motor then you will need to first check the wiring to make sure it is not damaged in any way causing the lack of voltage. And if the wiring is good and still have less then full voltage to the drain motor then you will have to change the computer.

Please heck that and let me know what you have found and I will help you more.

Just so you have the part info for the drain motor and main computer the info is below.

Drain motor is part number DC31-00054A and should cost $75.

Main Board is part number DC92-00381A and should cost about $130.

Please get back to me here and let me know what you have found with the drain on your machine and I will help you more.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for getting back to me, even though you had a long day. I appreciate it.

I just ran a pump test and there is 120v going to the connector at the pump. I reconnected the pump to the power and it started running. The impeller spun under power and was pumping fine.

This is what happened last time too. I must remove the front of the washer to access the pump. By the time I put the whole thing back together, it works for like 15 mins and quits again. It just seems to work after my initial fix, then it quits again.

There was no debris or kinks in any of the lines or filter.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank you for doing that check. I know it can be a pain in the neck removing the parts on this machine to do the checks. I didnt want to tell you yet to remove the front of the machine to check the drain pump because I didn't want you to get that involved with this yet.

But that is good that you have gone ahead to do it.

If the pump is getting full 110 volts, which shows on meter as being about 120v or so, then great, we knwo the computer is good.

Now if the pump is only working for about 15 minutes or so then failing again then it sounds to me like the drain motor is seizing, probably form previous damage and clog, and now can't handle running and draining for more then 15 minutes. You will need to replace the drain motor.

Here is a link to the part at a website I use often. They should have the cheapest price. Should be about $40. You can open the link by copying the link below to your browser and opening the link. You can then see the part info and even order right from them there.

http://applianceassociatesli.partsquik.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=131164

It is a common repair on this and many other models like it.

If you need any other help please get back to me here and I will help you more.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I ordered the part. When I install it, I'll let you know how it went. Thanks for continuing to help me out. I didn't want to just throw parts at it, but I had a hunch it needed a new pump.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome for the help. That's what I am here for.

Just get back to me if you need help or to let me know how it works out for you.

Thanks again.