Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

My GE Profile refrigerator model 20 or 22 not sure is not cooling.

My GE Profile refrigerator model 20 or 22 not sure is not cooling. Temp is 63
freezer is 40
Lights are working. WHen I tried to change temp settings they reverted back to above.l
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting us to help you with this appliance question.

Can you open the freezer door and look behind the shelfs at the lower panel, need to know if you see any frost on the lower panel on the inside rear.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no frost

everything is defrosted

Can you pull the unit out from the wall, remove the lower panel in the rear. Once the panel is off you will see the compressor, feel the compressor, need to know if it feels hot or room temp, also need to know if the fan beside the compressor is running.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will try

Ok Elaine let me know

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I cant budge it. I feel that the side feels warm

Ok Elaine, in that case the fan in the rear beside the compressor is likely not running, this is either because the control board or the fan motor have failed. If you don't feel comfortable doing this repair yourself I would call a repair guy.

This repair will cost around $180 - $300 depending on region and what has failed (condenser fan or control board)

I would like to earn your highest rating, are you totally satisfied with my answer? If not please reply to me with your concerns or additional questions. If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction, please don't forget to rate me before you leave.

It was my pleasure helping you today. Feel free to get back to me here at any time if you have additional questions at no further charge. Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Please also remember if you have future questions regarding a faulty appliance, You can request me personally to assist you with the problem :)

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

fan is running and fridge feels a bit cooler

but temp lights are out

That may be the evaporator fan inside the freezer you are hearing, The condensor fan is in the rear next to the compressor.

If you are sure this fan is running then the main control board will be the problem,

Thanks!

Mike.