Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

GE GSS20IEPJWW.

I have a GE GSS20IEPJWW. Sometimes the ice and water dispensers work and sometimes it does not work. Whether they work or not it dims the dispenser light but more so when its not working. When you try to get water or ice it takes out so much power that it seems to shutdown the compressor for a short time. It also stops cooling all by its self and sometime later it comes back on by its self. For about a year I get a squeaking or squealing noise intermittently which I don't know if it is related or not. I think it is the Main Control Board but I want to get your opinion because it was replaced about 3 years ago. If it is not the Main Control Board what could it be?

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Can you hear a buzzing or clicking noise from the rear when this happens? Is the freezer fan operating?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Its not doing it now but I think it does buzz when it happens. I don't think I have heard a clicking noise. When I open the freezer door I hear a fan sound if that is what your asking.

Usually below the doors there is a wire connector. The wiring connector locations is not shown in the parts diagrams, but remove the panel below the doors and see if its there or if it is under the top hinge cover of the freezer. Jiggle that connector while someone is getting ice. If you can make it repeat by doing that then the problem is there at that connector. It may need cleaned and I have seen a wire corroded to the point it is barely making contact

.

If you find nothing there then the problem will be the main control board. That board will need to be replaced to repair the problem. If you have a soldering pen you could try taking the control board out and re-solder all of the "large" joints. I have seen those sometimes be poorly soldered and crack. Never the smaller ones and cause that problem.

Other than that the board will have to be replaced. WR55x10942 is the factory recommended replacement. You will need to follow the instructions on the sheet that comes with the board to step 2 for your model. I put a link to one site below for you.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/WR55X10942/1531075?RCAID=1000064

There is really nothing special to changing the board other than swapping it out and following that sheet. Just be sure the refrigerator is unplugged.

If you have any questions at all about anything please ask me. If not then please leave a rating for me, a single rating is very important.

Thanks,
Barry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Checked the connector the connector pins look fine. Could not repeat the problem. (The connector is on top) The refrigerator and freezer was not cooling at all for sometime on Saturday. I don't think that the connector would have not have caused that would it?

Only if there was a dead short it could have. That is rare but I have seen it happen that a wire corrode completely and fall onto the frame. That is rare but I always ask people to check before purchasing a board. The problem will be the board.

Again if you know someone who has a soldering pen I cannot stress enough how many of those bad solder joints I have seen on these boards. It is a ridiculous amount. I do not know who or how they are soldering but I would bet 65 to 75 percent of the problems that I see, when it comes to a board problem on these refrigerators and that board the solder joints are causing the problem. Someone or some machine is doing a poor job of it.

Now that is not always the case, but I have seen it so many times I needed to mention it, so if you have access to solder and a pen you could save yourself some money. You may be able to repair that board and not purchase one.

If you have any questions at all about anything please ask me, anything, I will do my very best to help. If not then please leave a rating for me, a single rating is very important.

Thanks,
Barry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your help. If its ok I will leave this open until I get it fixed just in case I have any more questions. Then I will leave you an excellent service rating.

Sure you can leave a rating whenever you like. Whether you rate today or not this question is always open. If you keep it saved to your bookmarks/favorites you can reply here for years. I am required to followup for 30 days for this same problem and I do, and a longer if its close. Just so you know.

Also this is not the normal time of day that I work. Normally I am on between 8 and 8 eastern time. I just happened to hear the notification sound that I get and looked then saw your question. I am sorry you had to wait.

You are very welcome and thank you for the opportunity.
Barry
Hello, This is a courtesy follow up from Barry.

I was wondering if my answer helped and if you were satisfied?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Everything seems to be fine. I put the new board on last Wednesday and it seems to be working fine. I was wondering about the squeaking or squealing noise that it makes intermittently because it still happens. Just wondering if you can tell me what it is, if it is serious or not and how to fix it.

Your answer helped alot and I am very satisfied. I will give you an excellent service rating now.

Thanks

I really appreciate the opportunty,,,,Probably did nt spell right.. Yes a sound like that can be serious. Fan motors squeak and squeal when there is a bearing going out...Its a random sound, I have had customers call it birds chirping. If you could locate if it is inside or outside you could probably fix that too.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think it is coming from the out side but I will try to figure out where it is coming from next time it does it and I will get back to you.

Thanks

Okay that would be great,,,,,,,normally I am not online at this time...normally....My beloved is supposed to be here tomorrow so things change. I swear I will do everything I could possibly do to help...Im a GE guy and the model you have I am very well trained on.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It sounds more like a squeak or squeal more than a bird chirping. The sound seems like it is coming from the back or underneath. If it is a fan motor I would assume it would be the condenser fan motor. If it is the condenser fan motor it will need to be replaced right?

Thanks

Yes is it still making noise?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It makes the noise on and off.

Yes its not uncommon, that is the only part back there that can make that kind of sound.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would that be the only thing that would make that noise? Are there any other likely possibilities?

Thanks

You are very welcome, you did replace the board already, correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes the board got replaced about a week and a half ago and still makes the noise off and on.

Yes its the motor, there is a feed back from the motor to the board. They are arguing over the rpm speed. The motor is going bad..

Barry
Let me add, one can cause the other to go bad. GE recommends replacing both the board and the motor. I do not agree with that because many times you do not need to do that.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok I will order and replace the condenser fan motor and I will let you know if that fixes the problem.

Thanks

Your welcome, stop by every now and then and say hello.

Let me know how it goes.

Barry