Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Our fridge has stopped cooling again. This happened one other time a couple months ago wh

Our fridge has stopped cooling again. This happened one other time a couple months ago when we were out of town, all food ruined by time we got back. Last time, we just turned the temp up to the coldest temp and it's been fine since, but now it's happening again. We're not sure what to do
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! Is it making any noise at all? Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section? Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help.

No and No.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wait a minute - now it just kicked back on and fans in both freezer and fridge are working. Do you think what we did reset the appliance and it just took an hour for it to kick back on?

now that I've paid you, if you could shed any light on this so we know what to do in the future when we run into this problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
There are two parts that could be faulty, the defrost timer and the thermostat. They are shown as numbers 23 and 22A in the picture below. One of them is at fault. You could replace them both or wait to see what happens. The defrost timer has a much higher failure rate. I would replace that if I were in your position. It is inexpensive and easy to replace. It is available below.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

Defrost Timer <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. We will try that. Can you please provide detailed instructions on how to replace both parts so we know exactly what to do (step by step) when they arrive please. Thank you again.

Fridge is working just fine again now. I think it may likely be the defrost timer as it was ticking for a long time in there after it came back on.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Unplug the refrigerator and remove the number 81 screws from the control housing. The housing will hinge down in the front to allow access to the timer and the control.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK - I need to tell you. I know NOTHING about refrigerators. when you say "control housing" -- is this the area on the back of the fridge near the floor on the outside that goes next to the wall OR is it a part that is installed in something inside the fridge or freezer?

Pardon my ignorance, but will you please dumb it down for me a bit? also, I have no idea what a number 81 screw is. Layperson talk please.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

I was referring to the picture above, for some reason it did not repost. Now the picture is reposted below. Remove the screws marked 81 in the picture. The front of number 17 will then pull down allowing access to the number 23 defrost timer. It simply unplugs and plugs in.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you - that makes so much more sense. We'll give it a try, thanks for your help!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, sorry for the confusion.

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!