Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.

my Model #DMT800RHS/XAA Samsung Dishwasher began showing oE

Customer Question

my Model #DMT800RHS/XAA Samsung Dishwasher began showing oE a few minutes after beginning any cycle. I took the pump apart inside the tub area and found the following:
Chunks of white spongy material inside the pump. The Check vane PART NUMBER: DD66-00045A (I'm ordering it) was not seated properly, is badly worn, and if you touch it, your fingers get all black (it's decomposing).
Lastly, the heater element was crusted with a hard white substance. I'm assuming it's from hard water or from the detergent. I managed to scrape a bit of the substance off with a utility knife and a wire brush.

My questions are:
Should I replace the heater element or just try to clean it off as much as I can?
And would the heater element or the check vane be the source of the problems? If yes, which more so? If not, then what?

Thanks.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 10 months ago.

Jon :

hello

Jon :

give me one minute to look over your question and bring up your model diagrams. thanks

Jon :

ok the oe error is over water level error. common fault.

Jon :

and if you have checked the machine out well, which it seems that you have, and found the check valve faulty on the drain line, then yes, this could back the water up in the machine causing the error.

Jon :

and there is almost always sub left over "mush" on the heater since it sits in the bottom of the sump where all the water and food will sit.

Jon :

you can check the haeter with continuity and that will tell you if it is good or not.

Jon :

and I must say, in my almost 13 years of repairing similar style dishwashers, I have only found 3 heaters faulty and needing to be replaced. usually they are good.

Jon :

i would just clean it as best as you can and run another cycle with either hot start or heated dry after you fix the check valve and see if the water gets heated and then at the end of the cycle heats dry? if it does, then you know the heater is good.

Jon :

now, as far as for the check valve being the source of the problem, i will tell you this. The check valve when working properly will only let water out of the drain and not back in. so if the check valve fails it will start to let more water accumulate in the sump and drain pump. Which could definitely cause the build up on the heater and sump lining.

Customer:

great. do you have any idea of where I can get the check valve part in a hurry? the only place I know if is sears parts direct. they take forever and shipping is expensive.

Jon :

replace the check valve, clean the heater and run an empty wash cycle with just white vinegar and no dishes, this will clean out the dishwasher, and then run a normal cycle and see how it works? that should work fine for you.

Jon :

yes. you can order it from

Jon :

www.repairclinic.com

Jon :

they show it in stock and can ship it out to you tomorrow.

Jon :

here is their link to the part

Jon :

just click the image above to view the part info and order from them. should be two you in a day or two.

Jon :

please get back to me here if you have any other questions or concerns and I will help you more.

Customer:

thank you.

Jon :

please remember to rate my performance positively below this chat now with ok service or better rating if you feel that i have helped to answer your questions and if you have more questions even after rating me come back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

thank you.

Jon :

glad i could help.

Jon :

Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated. Please get back to me here if you have any other questions and I will help you more for no additional charge. Thanks again

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 10 months ago.
Jeff,

thank you again for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

please get back to me here if I can be of any other assistance to you for this machine. And I will do so for no additional charge to you.

Please let me know how you make out as well.

Thanks again.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Jon,

Seems that the check valve was not the only problem. The dishwasher still stops during the initial part of the cycle with oE error code. Not sure what to do from here. Service from Samsung is $120 + parts. I'd prefer to fix myself if parts are inexpensive.

Let me elaborate on what occurs:

Turn on dishwasher, dishwasher drains, starts filling with water, then goes into oE and drains completely and stops with oE flashing. Unplugging for several minutes and trying again leads to same outcome. changing wash settings lead to same outcome.

Expert:  Jon replied 10 months ago.
Jeff,

Sorry for the delay.

If the oe error will come on immediately after trying to fill then you have to change the water fill sensor.

The oe error code is for the dishwasher thinking there is too much water in the machine and is immediately activating the drain motor until all the water is drained out of the tub.

Sometimes there is a small dome inside the tub on the bottom. either the near the front left or right side of the tub you may see a small grey dome. If you see it pick it up to make sure there is nothing stuck underneath. Now please don't pick up the dome more then an inch, DONT COMPLETELY REMOVE from the dishwasher.
If you hear a click while you pull up an inch on the water fill sensor then that is good. If not, then that is bad and you will need to replace the sensor.

If you have a model where there is no dome then the sensor is under the basket near where the motor is. Just in front of it actually.

If you would like pull the machine out and take a look for the sensor. You should see it near the bottom front of the machine and should have two wires attached to it. If you see it make sure the wires are not damaged. And make sure they are connected to the switch. Sometimes the wires will come loose or get cut so take a look at them first. If they are damaged repair the wires and check the dishwasher again by starting a new cycle.

If it makes it through the cycle then you should be good to go. If not, then you will need to change the fill sensor.

Give me a few minutes and I will look up the part info for you and get back to you here.

Thanks.
Expert:  Jon replied 10 months ago.
Jeff,

Here is a link tot he sensor you will need on your machine to fix the issue.

Just copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view the part.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Sensor/DD9401006A/2310003

Get back to me here if you need more help and I will help you more.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Jon,

I see that you directed me to a case sensor which is on the sidewall of the dishwasher. I have not checked into that yet but I will.

Is there a possibility that it might be the Sensor Assembly? DD94-01062A? Don't know what it's for but it sits inside the base of the dishwasher.

My reason for asking is on sears parts direct, they say "people who purchased the case sensor also purchased these two other components"

The other two components are:

Valve

DD62-00084A

and

Sensor Assembly

DD94-01062A

I think what I'm getting at also is to avoid paying for shipping for each component, wouldn't it be better to just get all those components that are suspect? Then return those that were not needed.

I'm curious which dishwashers have the fewest problems. This Samsung is a headache with poor design issues. I had a kenmore (whirlpool?) purchased in 1995, heavily used by me, that lasted me until around 2011. No repairs ever.

Expert:  Jon replied 10 months ago.
Jeff,

Yes the case sensor on the side. That is correct. And most website will always recommend you replace more parts then you may need. It brings in more money for them.

The other sensor and valve are parts of what we call the water flow system. And it is recommended that you replace them altogether. But please to ahead order all of them and only install one at a time then test it out and you will know what part you need. And then just return the others.
I would start with the sensor under the tub should be the cheapest. Then do the others if that one doesn't do the trick. And I would order from www.repairclinic.com. They are one of the very few places that will allow you for return parts for up to a year. Even if they have been installed already. Just use the same part numbers when going to their site to order.

And ascar as what I recommend to buy for when this one fails you again, I have been recommending whirlpool for the last 8 or so years now. I work on everything big end and low end and everything in between. I see it all. And I have to say the one brand I see the least of is whirlpool. Which means that it is made well and not breaking often. Which is why I recommend it so much.

I woudk stay away from Samsung, lg, ge, and Frigidaire or Electrolux. I see them the most.

Please get back to me need if you have any other questions and I will help more.

Thanks again.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Jon,

I had to order parts from Sears Direct because they were not in stock until October at repairclinic. Parts coming Tuesday. Will I still have access to replying Tuesday/Wednesday?

-Jeff

Expert:  Jon replied 10 months ago.
Ok. If you have any troubles, which you shouldn't, you should still be able to return them there. Please get back to me here when you get them. And yes. I will always be here for you.

Talk to you soon.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I just got back to attempting the repair. Looking at the parts I ordered, there's the sensor that mounts to the side of the unit that you said to get originally,

the tub sensor that looks like a leakage detector as opposed to overflow.

and a new supply valve which I think I don't need but we'll see.

I'm going to pull the unit out of the cabinet in a few minutes (6:30pm ET). I'll get back to you.

Expert:  Jon replied 10 months ago.
Jeff,

Please get back to me here if you run into any trouble.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I replaced the Case Sensor PART NUMBER: DD94-01006A. This was the one you said to replace. Running it now through a cycle. So far, no errors. Waiting to complete a whole cycle prior to opening up the champagne. I'll let you know if the cork gets popped.

Thanks, Jon.

Expert:  Jon replied 10 months ago.
Jeff,

That is great news. Well so far. Lets hope you are popping that cork soon. Save a glass for me.

If you have any issue please just get back to me here and I will help you more.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

All fixed. Only issue is the wires are really short and difficult to unplug and plug in. Anything for them to save a buck, I guess.

I compared the float action of the new and old sensors. inside the old sensor, the float moved slowly compared to the new sensor. There also was black gunky stuff inside it.

The extra parts are going back tomorrow.

Thanks again, Jon.

Expert:  Jon replied 10 months ago.
Jeff,

You are very welcome. I am glad I was able to help you fix your machine. Yes. They certainly don't leave much slack on the wires for you to work comfortably. I am glad the sensor did the trick and it was the one you replaced first. Now you can return the other parts and get your money back.

If you feel that I have done an exceptional job helping you fix this machine yourself and have saved you a bunch if money in doing so please feel free to leave me a bonus and positive feedback on my profile. That would be greatly appreciated. Please also realize it is not mandatory for you to do so.

I will be here for you if you need me again or if you have any other questions on this machine. And as always I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.