Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.

I have an appliance question

Customer Question

I have an appliance question
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 10 months ago.

Jon :

hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized Bosch service tech and I can help you today.

Jon :

The e17 error is a water fault.

Jon :

it means that there is too much water coming into the machine.

Jon :

are you sure that the previous error , the e13 drain error, in which you removed the twist tie, the machine is fully draining?

Jon :

usually when these two errors come up they are directly related.

Jon :

if there is not enough water being drained out of the machine then when new water comes into the machine there will be water in the machine from previous drain cycle. and the water will over fill.

Jon :

i would like for you to first remove the drain hose from the sink or garbage disposal, where ever you have it hooked up to and tell me how well the dishwasher is draining?

Jon :

does it seem like it is draining well and water is forcefully coming out of the drain hose? or does it seem like the water is just dripping out?

Jon :

if the water is coming out well, then you will need ot change the water flow system which is the water valve and float switch .

Jon :

if the water is just dribbling out then you will need to make sure that you got all the food or debris out of the drain line and drain hose. if you have then replace the drain motor.

Jon :

the drain motor is the more common problem here with the machine. especialy since you received the first e13 drain error. that had most likely caused the damage to the drain motor.

Jon :

please check that and get back to me here and let me knwo what you have found.

Customer :

This is a wash machine....

Jon :

I am sorry kept saying dishwasher, i meant washing machine.

Jon :

check the drain filter and if it is not clogged up again then tell me how the water flows and drain out?

Customer :

When we opened the drain at the bottom of the unit, that is where the hair tie was.

Jon :

if it is slow then please tell me if you hear the drain motor humming a lot?

Jon :

yes, that is common to find the objects in the bottom drain filter.

Customer :

1. It sounds as if it is starting to drain amd then the air message comes up.

Jon :

if you have found stuff in the drain filter that stuff could have affected the drain motor, which again is common, and could affect the way the machine drains the water out.

Customer :

I tried to start a load and the same error message appears...no water remains in the drain.

Jon :

ok so if the error message comes up when the machine is draining, how does the water look as it is coming out the drain hose? you will have to get to the drain hose and remove it from the stand pipe or from where ever it is going, and pull it out just enough so you can see the flow of water coming out.

Jon :

ok so if the machine will nto even let you start the cycle or any other cycle, please power off the machine and let it sit while powered off for ten minutes and try it again.

Jon :

after letting it sit unplugged for ten minutes, power it back on and set a normal cycle and let it fill with water.

Customer :

okay....starting now.

Jon :

if it fills let it completely fill and start the cycle. then hit cancel and advance to drain cycle and tell me how it drains? again remove the drain hose to look at flow of water coming out of the washer.

Jon :

ok. i'' be here waiting. just let me know.

Jon :

again, if water is barely coming out change the drain pump it is faulty, if the flow of water is coming out strong and still the washer gives the fault, even after reseting the washer by unplugging for ten minutes change the main control. and pressure switch.

Jon :

Are you still there?

Jon :

did the washer fill then drain after canceling the cycle? if so how did it look when you checked the flow of water coming out of the drain pump?

Jon :

Again, if flow was weak check the drain filter again. If more junk in filter clean it out and try again, if water flows out the drain better just keep on top of checking your clothing before putting it into the washer.

Jon :

if the washer is still not draining fully or properly after cleaning out the drain filter then replace the drain motor. again it is common and I see it about twice a week. that is how common it is

Jon :

If you can get me the model number i will get you the part info so you can order and replace the drain motor yourself and save a lot of time and money.

Jon :

thanks

Customer :

Hi...it seems to be working now. If this happens again, should we order a motor. Could we replace ourselves?

Jon :

ok. great

Jon :

I thought it would work for you after the reset and checking the filter again.

Jon :

yes, you can change this yourself if you have some handyman skills and some common tools. i could walk you though the repair if that ever comes to that.

Customer :

I am going to change the load...did a quick 20 minute load and it seemed to work fine. I appreciate your assistance. I unplugged last night but for only a moment.

Jon :

i would just need the model number of your machine to match parts to your model. then i'll get you parts info and even show you where to order them at a discount on line and have them sent directly to you.

Jon :

then if you need it, I will tell you exactly how to repair and install it.

Customer :

Okay, great. Do I request you? You are awesome. I love this site!

Jon :

ok. yes, sometimes the quick reset by unplugging just for a few moments will not work.

Jon :

and all it needs is a hrad reset of ten minutes un plugged.

Jon :

yes, you can request me at the link below.

Jon :

click the image above to come directly to me.

Jon :

and as for no, just give me a positive rating now below this chat with ok service or better rating and you will be able to come back to me here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Customer :

Thank you!

Jon :

and if you ever have any other appliance questions you need help with just use the link below.

Jon :

http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-jon-grella/

Jon :

and the question will come directly to me. this way your question will not have to wait to be answered in the main question page.

Jon :

it save you time and money that way.

Jon :

you are very welcome. Glad I could help.

Jon :

Please remember to rate me positively now with ok service or better rating below this chat now. And again, I can help you more for no additional charge if you have more questions on this machine.

Customer :

Great...saving and will add to my list and share with others. Louise N.

Jon :

Louise, You are very welcome again. It was my pleasure to help you today. Thank you for the positive rating. And for keeping my info and sharing with friends. I have been fixing appliances for over 13 years and work on all brands of kitchen and laundry appliances. So I am sure if you have questions, I can help you. Thanks again.

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 10 months ago.

Louise, Thank you again for the positive rating and very generous bonus. It is greatly appreciated.

If you need me again for this machine please feel free to come back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

And if it is for another machine, please use my direct link above and I will help you to the best of my ability.

Thanks again and have a great night.