Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Do they make any new refrigerators with NO electronic controls?

Customer Question

Do they make any new refrigerators with NO electronic controls? We live in the country at the end of the power grid. Even with surge protectors on everything, electronic controls don't last.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! They do, are you looking for a side by side or a different style?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was hoping for one with a bottom freezer. but will accept side by side if I have too. Current frig is almost non-working.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Do you know how wide the space you have is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
width is not important. one side of fridge will butt up against counter, but opposite side is free. Currently have fridgedaire side by side 25 cubic feet. I think. I am not home now, writing from work. I would like 20 to 25 cubic feet
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That size of refrigerator will not be available without electronic controls. The mechanical controls are nearly phased out and available on smaller top freezer models. One of the most common manual controlled units is below.

CLICK HERE
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The one below is a bit bigger at 20 cu ft.

CLICK HERE
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I can help you fix your old refrigerator if you would like. There is no additional charge for that!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well, I would sure appreciate an opinion as to IF it can be fixed. thankyou. It is a Whirlpool side by side with icemaker, ice and water in door. The freezer side is nice and cold, but there is lots of "snow" and ice hanging from the tops of the shelves. The frig side is barely cold, and there is a slow condensation puddle at the bottom of this side. I approximate about 2 ounces per day. I can't access the info on the fridge just now. Let me know if model number will help

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Yes, a model number will be very helpful and this will not be a hard repair! Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section? Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes I hear motor or fan running in freezer. Frost is in front of freezer shelves and on top (ceiling) inside freezer. not on back wall inside freezer. I have found owners manual. I think model number is 2188771

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That is the part number of the manual. The tag should be in the fresh food section, near or on the ceiling.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

oops sorry. number is ED5FHEXNQ00 geez that is a long number. hope it is right

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, perfect! In the upper LH corner of the refrigerator is the air diffuser, number 24 in the diagram. That is where the cold air enters from the freezer. Can you use a mirror to look and see if there is frost or ice built up in there?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes there is some ice both on the bottom and in the back of the diffuser. but it is not totally blocked. I can feel a little cold air coming thru

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, great! What are the controls set on right now? Also, number 4 is on the lower LH wall in the refrigerator section. Can you see any ice in there?

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

controls for frig are set to coldest. oh my! bottom vent is completely iced over

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
BINGO! You need to thaw all that ice and frost and you will be cooling again. A door must have gotten left open and it built up in there. Cancel your service appointment and leave the doors open overnight with the unit unplugged and you will be good to go in the morning! I have to send this as an answer but please do not rate again or you will be charged twice. Let me know if you have trouble after thawing. You can use a hair dryer, too, but be very careful not to melt the plastic!

Nice investigative work!

Register Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have turned off frig and am thawing the ice by pouring hot tap water on it. is this OK? I am afraid to use a hairdryer

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Sure, that will be fine. It is messy but not harmful. Make sure the bottom of the back panel where the slots are is clear, too. The air has to be able to be pulled through the return air vent that is plugged, through the slots at the bottom of the back freezer panel, over the cold evaporator coil and out the first vent I had you check, then back through the return air vent. If any of those are obstructed, you will have temperature issues. You should notice a dramatic difference in the air flow from the upper vent when it is all thawed out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Kelly you are very good and sweet as well. thankyou for helping an ol' country lady. I have dried out the frig and turned it back on. I hope it will work. I can't thank you enuf! I will try to send you a note tomorrow and let you know

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I will be awaiting good news! Thank you for the kind words, I appreciate that very much. Have a peaceful evening....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou~! it is working just fine this morning. even the eggs were cold! (in the door) will I need to turn off frig again to manually defrost freezer? or will the ice eventually defrost on its own?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
If you thawed all the frost yesterday, it should not frost up again. A door got left open for the return air to freeze up, so make sure the seals are sealing well, especially at the bottom of the doors. I am so glad it is working for you, good job!