Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Hi: My washing machine is about 5 years old. I noticed these

My washing machine is about 5 years old. I noticed these past couple of days that the water is not draining completely from the machine after the wash cycle ends (about 1/4 full). Today, I noticed that not only it did not drain completely but it looks like more water (about 3/4 full) backwashed back into my washer.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So there are only 2 reasons that the washer would get more water into the drum after it's done trying to drain. Either your drain hose is stuffed too far down the drain hose causing a siphon effect and the water is siphoning back into the tub, or the electronic water valve isn't sealing off and the water is actually still dripping into the tub like it's filling when it shouldn't be. The drain hose should be positioned in a way that the hose goes up to the height of the top of the tub, then it goes down into the drain pipe on your house. Make sure that it does not go into the pipe further than 8 inches and then zip tie it to another fill hose or something so that it doesn't fall back out or fall down further.

If you continue to have problems, the electronic water valve would need to be replaced because it's allowing water into the tub when it shouldn't.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok. But if it is the electronic water valve, is it worth (moneywise) getting a repairman to fix it? Or should I just go out and buy another washer?

The cost to replace the valve would be about $150 so I think it would still be worth fixing.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One more thing I forgot. I live in a two family house and my neighbor told me that some of the water from my washer went into his basement. I can't tell how much water was on the floor in my basement because my washer and dryer are on a pallet.

That's hard to know what caused the problem but most likely the drain line is backing up. That will cause the washer to easily siphon water through the drain hose. You'd need a plumber to check your drain line through the house