Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

trying to troubleshoot my Jenn Air Electric Smmothtop range

trying to troubleshoot my Jenn Air Electric Smmothtop range in my kitchen. One of the burners is not working.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If you have continuity through all the elements on the burners, then your burner isn't the problem, the problem is going to be your burner switch itself. If you turn the burner on, on the back of the switch there should be some terminals labeled H1 and H2. You should have 240 volts between these 2 terminals when the burner is turned on. If not, then you need to replace that burner switch.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The back of the switch has 10 wires coming out. This burner is a little different from the rest. If you turn it one way it turns on the inner burners for small pots and the other way turns on the outer burners for larger pots. on one side the wires are black and red 2 of each. I think its the power because it is fed from the switch right next to it. Are these the wires I check? I don't see an H1 or H2 labeled anywhere.

Yes those are the wires that you check, but those are for a duel burner which is why it's different from the other burners. So on this particular unit if the element has continuity then you just need to replace the switch.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Ok it has 246 volts coming out of the back of the switch. Here is a pic of the back of the switch. I did notice when I unplugged the plug with the red and black wires there was black like a short or something occured where it was plugged into.

Tried to attach a pic of the back of the switch but couldn't. Do you have an email address?

It may have 240 volts coming TO the switch but not coming OUT of the switch. Again, you need to replace the switch. I can not contact you by email.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Ok I just turned on one of the other burners and checked the juice right where it plugs into the burner and it showed 240volts. Then checked the voltage at the burner in question and got nothing. The switch it is then I guess. Is that a part that commonly stops working in Jenn Air ranges?

Yes. These dual burner switches fail often. Probably the most common part on the entire range that fails.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.