Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Hi Brian I have a general question about a dryers operating

Hi Brian I have a general question about a dryers operating thermostats. Whirlpool commercial dryer model#CE2950XYWO
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
thank you for requesting me. Give me a few minutes to pull up your model. thanks .Be right back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
alright so there so heat at all at this point correct ? there is a thermal cutout on the side of the heater that is most likely the culprit. in the picture its the one on the right . they came in a set however. Thermal Cut Out Fuse Kit 279769 Main Product View do you see this on the side of the heater?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes I do see them on the heater box. is the one on the right one that resets it self or does it just go bad and have no continuity? or does it have to have an ohms test to see if its bad ? and could by passing this thermostat tell me its the culprit also right away ??

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay the red and white one is a cycling thermostat and the other one is not resettable so if it has no continuity then its bad. can you test it with a meter ? or you can bypass it to see if it heats.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the cycling thermostats even when it is also a bias cycling thermostat they say all you have to do is check for continuity on the larger terminals when there are 4 terminals. If there is continuity on any type of cycling thermostat then that definitely means the cycling thermostat is good ?? and what is your opinion on the pre heating units for these cycling thermostats ?? Do they have anything whatsoever to do with intermittent heat and no heat at all with electric dryers ??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

this dryer also has 2 cycling thermostats whats the difference from the function of one to the other ??

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay your talking about the automatic cycling thermostat with the 4 wires. ? the way a cycling thermostat works is when the heating element is cold (or not up to the max temp on the thermostat) its normally closed. when the element heats up and is at temp the thermostat opens cutting power to the element.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so brian in the same scenario in my first question if the heating element is coming on and off again which one of these cycling thermostats on this machine would be the culprit.? the one on the blower housing or the set of two on the heater box ? because they are both cyling thermostats right?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

okay what you should do is first bypass one at a time. (the two large wires) and see if the dryer works correctly with whichever one you jumped out at that time. if it does that's your bad one. I would start with the red and white one on the side of the heater. does that make sense? do you think you can try that ? they are both cycling thermostats in a sense, the one on the side of the heater is more for shutting the heater off if it overheats because of the one on the blower.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

that makes sense to me brian thanks for the help. I will definitely start at the heater box thermostats as you mentioned earlier and see if the top thermostat is the culprit thanks again for your help Darren

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
your welcome , have a great night, thanks , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.