Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

The Amana ART6600E oven will not turn off. Even after I turned

The Amana ART6600E oven will not turn off. Even after I turned off the breaker and unplugged the appliance - heat is still being generated from the oven. Neither of the heating elements are glowing red. I reconnected the breaker and plugged in the appliance and the heat in the oven commenced again - the oven is not turned on and the control panel doesn't say the oven is on. What can I do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

When you tried to turn the oven off---did the display act like you turned it off? Or would it not responds at all to any button you pushed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It acted like it had turned off. I pressed the cancel button several times, but nothing changed.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK perfect. So there is only one thing that would cause that problem and that is the display control board itself. A relay sticks and won't stop sending power to the element on the display board. You've already tried to unplug the unit to reset the issue and the problem returned, so the entire display control board would need to be ordered and replaced to solve this problem I'm afraid to say.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Since we use the range top more than the oven, if I remove the heating elements while I wait for the control board to be shipped to me, can I still use the range? I want to plug it back in, but without the elements, will something negative happen to the oven or will it not send electricity to the elements if they aren't there? I don't want a fire hazard on my hands.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, but you will want to tape off the wires going to the bake and broil elements with electrical tape so that they do not short out in the mean time while you're waiting for the display board.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tape off? You mean with electrical tape, correct? or should I use the "caps" that electricians use when hooking up a ceiling fan? My dad was an electrician, but unfortunately he's deceased, however, he taught me a few things. Let me know the best way to "tape off" - thanks!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
yes, you'll want to use electrical tape. You won't be able to use caps without cutting the terminals off the wire, so I would just wrap the terminals well in electrical tape.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

One last question, the install of the control board is pretty straight forward, correct? Are there any tips you can give me about installing the part? I already know to shut off the breaker and unplug the appliance, thanks!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the control board is all plug and play. Just unplug the oven, then remove the screws coming in from the back of the control panel. Then you can remove the screws holding the display board onto the control panel and replace the control panel. Maybe take a picture of the wiring before you disconnect anything just in case you mix something up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your help!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and good luck!

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.