Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

water coming from back of fridge section and getting on shelves

Customer Question

water coming from back of fridge section and getting on shelves and underneath the crisper drawers then running out the front from under the door I think. lots of water.

ice maker working okay. .
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Look in the fresh food section up near the top for model/serial sticker and post the model number. There should be more letters. Then I can see the diagrams.

You might want to pull the refrigerator out if you do not know where the water cutoff is to the refrigerator and follow the water line to the cutoff so you can turn the water off first. I can wait no problem, please take your time.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay hold on please

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Take your time Debbie, all you need.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

model ET22RKXGT03 or could be 83 on end cant see it very well

EX4227486 SN

Barry, water does not appear at all to be coming from back or front underneath. It is coming from inside refrigerator somewhere and getting on shelves (then freezing sometimes and gather in bottom of insie under produce drawers and running out I guess from under the door and pooling on floor. but it is not wet under fridge at all.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Okay I understand, give me a few minutes to look up the model number.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is this costing me extra money every time I ask another question or send a response? are we still at $30? otherwise I will just have to call a service person locally to come to my house this week. please advise thanks

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
No not at all, just once. It's the only way to get it answered correctly for you. It would not be fair to charge you because we needed information.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok I have to take a "break" will be back in about 3 mins. okay thanks

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
No problem Debbie. Your defrost drain is clogged. Instead of the water going down the defrost drain in the freezer its going through the freezer floor.

In the freezer remove the screws in the panel with the blue arrows that I have drawn in the diagram below. That is the freezer floor.

Then remove the parts with the red arrows in the diagram. That is the back wall and airflow duct.

Behind those parts is the evaporator coil that defrosts about every 10 hours. The drain for the defrost is in the floor directly under those coils, its just about the size of a dime. Dig out all the ice and clear that hole.

Once you get that done pour a little warm water down it to be sure its clear. If its not clear find something flexible and push down through it a couple of inches.

Go around behind your refrigerator and remove the lower panel then find the tube that comes out just over the drain pan. If there is a small amount of water in that pan you will be done. The water that drains into that pan evaporates.

That will take care of it, if you have further questions please ask. If you have no questions please leave a rating for me. Every rating is very important.

Thank you,
Barry
CLICK THE IMAGE TO ENLARGE THE DIAGRAM

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay Barry. That is familiar - I had to do it one other time. can you also answer for me why that happens so I can prevent it from happening again? and so water could actually seep under from door onto floor even with seal there? thanks!!

Debbie

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.

Yes Debbie there is a kit you can get if it is not installed that will help. I have that part linked below.

Under your coils in the freezer up very close to the coils is a heater. The kit has an aluminum strip that goes around that heater and hangs into the drain hole under the coils. When the defrost starts the heater comes on heating the metal strip which carries heat into the drain as water drips from it. This warmer water helps keep the drain from freezing over. Click just below.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drain-Strap/819043/726493?RCAID=1000064

Thank you,
Barry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think I remember that strip being there from before? so why would it get stopped up again? am I doing something wrong? also fridge section keeps being too cold off and on and stuff in there freezing - is that related? promise I wont ask any more questions and you will get a Superior Rating. thanks so much! if i need more help with anything else or any other appliance can I sign up for free trial then ask specifically for you?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
You can put my name in the title, "For Barry Only" or in the first paragraph at the beginning of your question and most everyone here will respect that.

Yes absolutely the refrigerator being too cold can cause that to happen. Try adjusting it warmer in the fresh food section. That controls the whole refrigerator and also adjust the freezer warmer. That should help it not to freeze again up there.

And Debbie you ask all of the questions you would like, I will help you to the best of my ability, I am required to send a rating screen whenever I post a statement that may be an answer.

Thank you,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay then one more thing - should Milk, juice etc be stored in the big shelves on the inside of the door instead of on top shelf of fridge?

And if it quits making ice which it does sometimes is that because it is not cold enough? maybe thats where I mess it up. - thanks!! youre the best! Debbie

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Usually if you have things in the freezer that are frozen as normal but the ice maker has quit making ice it is because the ice maker did not fill or the arm that you lift to shut it off did not go all the way down. What you would need to do is this. The next time it quits notice if there is frost all over the freezer food. That is a big big clue. If there is a door was left open and that is what caused the freezer to warm, the ice maker to stop working and clogged your defrost drain. There is nothing else that will cause the snow, it is as plain to me as black and white when I see that snow just like getting a letter would be to you.

Push the arm against the side of the ice maker. If the arm moves the least little bit and the ice maker dumps ice you will need to replace the ice maker to repair it.

Feel inside the ice maker mold, if that is empty and it did not refill with water then the problem is the water valve. Around behind your refrigerator you will see a plastic water line and a water line from your home. Where both those connect to the blue plastic part that is the water inlet valve.

You are very welcome Debbie, thank you for the opportunity to help.
Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Help! I still need help - hope you get this. I am just now trying to fix this. Do I really have to remove the back? I cant get that middle section out (thing that runs down back of wall in the middle of the panel and I guess is the air flow to the fridge? anyway I cant get it out and even if I do - the ice maker is in the way of me removing the back. However I think the drain hole is right now where I can see it all the way to the back to the left of that thing in the middle in the floor of the unit in the little silver tray that runs across the bottom which I think is the drain train? Not sure I have that hole all the way unfrozen but I keep putting hot water in the tray and it is going somewhere. but if I dont take the back off could there be frozen water behind it that will not ever thaw. do I really have to take that back out?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 12 months ago.
Hang on Debbie, let me re-read.

Thanks,
Barry
Do you have the freezer floor out yet?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

yes

Then over to the left are 2 screws at the top of the ice maker. Loosen those. Then lift the ice maker off those screws. Follow the wire connector back to the rear of the freezer wall and disconnect that, then you can remove the rear freezer wall.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

oh dear - not sure I can move the fridge or at least not any time right away - will have to move stuff from the wall in front of fridge. If I can see the drain hole now do i really need to remove the back?? I just dont want to remove the ice maker if I dont have to bc I have never done that and I am afraid I might mess it up.

Guess dont mind taking out the icemaker I just hate to remove that wire connector. Is that hole I am seeing in the metal piece on the floor of the freezer a hole for something else? okay guess I will have to give it a try. .

Its hard to picture if you can see the hole or not, I work on thousands of models. Dont move the fridge. If you are going to properly do this over the internet I need a picture or that rear wall has to come off. I am sorry I just can't see it and I can't say oh yes you have it there, it would not be nice of me to do that. Do you understand? I want it right.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

sure I understand - let me see if I can get you a picture..trying to get them sent. not sure what I am doing but I am almost ready to send I think.

You can post them anywhere and send me a link.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

well here goes - hope you can tell what you are looking at. I did rotate them but when I linked them they werent rotated. just imagine them the right direction

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
see that little black hole in the bottom of the one - it is right behind the square hole to the air flow thing....or whatever

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Debbie, neither picture is pointing to the rear center of the freezer. That is where the drain is. It is right in the middle directly to the back.

Good job though they did come through.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

The hole I see is to the right of that thing that runs down the back center that I havent removed yet - the air flow thing... so if drainhole is in center does that mean its behind or under that thing?

If I pour water in the metal strip in back bottom and it goes somewhere - is that the right hole and is it fixed maybe? I guess all I need to know now is --is there an absolute reason I have to remove the back wall if this is hole I am seeing right now? make sense??

Yes it is behind that air duct.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

oh cramminy....

okay how about if I work on it for a while and then I get back to you? so you can sign off now but I will reply as soon as I have it apart or whatever? thanks Barry.

Everything is fine, im not gonna sign off but it is straight behind that duct. That duct runs through the floor of the freezer. I was wondering how you were seeing it, but then again I work on lots of different ones. You can give me a shout anytime.

Thanks,
Barry