Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Maytag A308 Washer that does not agitate, spin or

I have a Maytag A308 Washer that does not agitate, spin or drain after initially filling the tub. However, the wash cycle dial continues to move through the selected wash cycle as if the machine is working as it should. What is the potential problem(s).
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So if the timer is still advancing, your lid switch is not a problem because the lid switch will stop the timer from advancing. Unfortunately that means you have a bad motor or a bad timer. You'd need to test power down at the motor. There are several wires going to the motor and no matter if it's agitating or spinning, 2 wires should have 120 volts going to them. If not, then you need a new timer. If you do have 2 wires getting 120 volts, then you need to order and replace the motor I'm afraid.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for the quick response. I have just recently replaced the motor, but went ahead and did the voltage check as you suggested. There was no voltage getting to the motor from any of the wires. How difficult of a job is replacing the timer? Any thing that I should know or be on the look out for?

Replacing the timer is easy, it's just the part behind the large dial where you select the cycle. But locating a new timer for this old of a washer may be a difficult task I'm afraid.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

There are several parts companies on line....any other suggestions on where to look if I can't find it there?

Midwest Appliance Parts tends to have the best chance of finding obsolete parts, but I would recommend getting it from Repairclinic.com if they have it just because they allow you to return parts if you end up not needing them for any reason.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for your help.

No problem and I wish you only the best.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.