Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Why is freezer frosting up on Model #KTRS22KGAL00

Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. Give me a few minutes to pull up your model. thanks .Be right back. do you have a volt meter ? you need to check a few things for continuity, can you do that ? I'll send videos to show you how if you have a meter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I should if I can find it. Looking now.

okay let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes I found it

okay perfect, there is one of three issues in this first check the heating element in the freezer . remove the panel again and unplug the element . Defrost Heater Assembly(NNN) NNN-NNNNMain Product View here a video, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Heater-Assembly/2315530/1175560?modelNumber=KTRS22KGAL00
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had the panel still off. I unpluged the element and checked for the elements continuity and it was good.

okay now this is the defrost thermostat. you may need to cut this to test it I'm not sure if that unplugs. leave enough room to wire it back up if needed . place that in ice water for 3 minutes and then test it for continuity. if its good replace this, Defrost Timer 482493 Main Product ViewDefrost Thermostat(NNN) NNN-NNNNMain Product Viewits the defrost timer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok I have the 2nd type with the wires. When I looked at it top of it where the wires go in wasn't seated all the way in the container where it's obviously not sealed. I can snap it back in bu should I still place it in ice water?

Okay so its popped open at the top ? if so its bad, heres a link to order that. defrost thermostat so that's definitely your issue. good job. you have it defrosted so if you order this right away it will come in before this freezes up again. thanks < Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is this a part that can easily be purchased from an appliance store? Or would I have to order it anyway?

yes actually if you have an appliance parts store nearby they will have a replacement. not a store that sells appliances though. they wont have this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks very much. A great help

No problem. that's a common failure on these. , thanks , Bryan