Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a drier model# XXXXX At the end of the cycle

I have a drier model# XXXXX At the end of the cycle the motor shuts off like normal but the heating element stays on. I have to unplug the drier to kill the heating element. I suspect the timer is the problem. I searched for a replacement timer and found pn PS383652. Unfortunately this pn is apparently no longer available. My question is, can a newer model timer be used in this older drier and if so what timer should I use? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So the timer is NOT the problem. The timer can't complete the circuit without the motor centrifugal switch engaged or the element being grounded out. You need to actually unplug the 2 wires going to the heating element and test each terminal on the heater to the case/frame of the heater for continuity. If you have continuity, you need to replace the heating element because it's grounded out. If you find that the element is open, you actually need a motor because the contact on the centrifugal switch inside the motor is not opening up to break the circuit to the heater.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

So that is all correct. If you replace the heating element and it doesn't solve the issue, you'd need to replace the motor and that will solve the issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So you are saying the heater element may be grounded to it's frame or the centrifical switch inside the motor is not opening when the motor stops is that correct? I have a new element ordered which should be here tomorrow if I install the new element and it still does not shut off the heater then I will need to replece the motor, correct?

Yes, that is correct.