Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

the lights are all flashing on my kitchenaid dishwasher and

the lights are all flashing on my kitchenaid dishwasher and it stopped in the middle of a cycle and refused to continue. Does it need a new control panel? Because this is the 3rd time it has broken. The repair fee is $129 plus a new control panel (again) plus a repeat visit to install-should i just buy a new dishwasher? This one's a lemon! I replaced the control panel and the heating element already.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction.

Does the dishwasher work okay otherwise?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no, it does not work at all.

I mean when the control panel was working, did it wash okay for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it was perfect until it started blinking

Reason I ask this question is, that almost every brand of dishwasher has these control panel problems, I know that it is a pain to have them fix it, however the cost is still cheaper than replacing the entire unit. However I have never heard of a company come out and charge $129.00 then say they have to order the part, Charge you for that, then charge you $129.00 again to install it. It is not your fault that they do not have the part on their truck when they come out, Have you thought about doing the replacement yourself?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well, two things-I'm in NYC where everything is $$$ and I had this repair company out before and that's what happened.

Also, I'm a 58 year old woman who can replace a light bulb but that's about it! :)

Even in NYC it should not cost that much, did yo use a national company or a local one before?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yeah, well it's through Kitchenaid online so of course it's pricey.

Truth is what I need to know after all these repairs, should I junk the unit? I've already spent an amount that could've bought me a new one. So throw good money after bad?

Problem is a new one of any other brand can still cause you the same problem, the keypads are made cheap on all of them.. A&E Factory Service is another company that services NYC at 1.800.905.9505, they charge a flat fee and they don't charge for return visits to install parts, a new dishwasher is going to cost over $1000, you have one of the best brands out there compared to the others already...

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 s please consider replying and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A & E is the service company! $129 for an initial call. And I would replace the dishwasher with a rotary dial machine because this is just bogus! I've spent over $500 repairing this machine. Does it sound like a lemon to you? I mean do all of them break every year? I can't imagine that to be the case.

Also, what do the flashing lights mean? Does it sound like it needs another control panel?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I need to know the odds of my repair costing $400 or more depending on what you say is broken. I need to know if it's worth repairing
I worked for A&E for many years they never worked like that before. If that is the case then you should replace the entire dishwasher, I would would go to a brand like LG as they have the least amount of repairs on their dishwasher than anybody else according to consumer reports...