Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

Kenmore Elite "Trio" bottom freezer refrigerator, Model # XXXXX Ice

Customer Question

Kenmore Elite "Trio" bottom freezer refrigerator, Model # XXXXX

Ice is forming in the defrost drain pan preventing the defrost water from draining.
Second time in 3 months.
Is there a fix to this problem?
Disassembling the freezer compartment is not a convenient fix (repair).

Thanks for your help,
Fred

The defrost water leaks onto the hardwood floor, warping the wood.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Fred is there a metal piece hanging from the heater into the drain?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.

That is the best thing to do, there is a kit you can order and put onto the heater or you can use a piece of copper wire. Hang it from the defrost heater and into the drain about 1/4 inch. What that will do is keep the drain and the water warm longer so it does not freeze so fast. That is one method. The link is below.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drain-Strap/819043/726493?RCAID=1000065

The second thing you can do is replace the defrost thermostat that is clipped to the top of the coils. It is a disk shaped object with 2 wires coming from it. Replace that with a warmer thermostat and that will help. Most all of those will have a temperature on them and if you will take it to an appliance parts store and explain that you would like one that is a few degrees warmer that will help 4 to 10 degrees can make a big difference during the defrost cycle. That will keep the heater on a little longer and should stop the freezing.

Please ask if you have questions, if not then please leave a rating for me.

Thank you,
Barry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

In my past life I was an appliance repairman for Public Service Co of Colorado. I have repaired many GE and Hotpoint refrigerators with a similar fix.

Thanks for your help.

Fred

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
I am glad to meet you Fred and thank you for the opportunity. I am sure that will take care of it. You and your family have a very nice Sunday and please return right here if there is something you may want to know.

Thanks,
Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Hello Fred, This is a courtesy follow up from Barry.

I was wondering if my answer helped and if you were satisfied with my assistance?

Thanks,
Barry