Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

A week ago we had a lightning strike and saw sparks fly in

A week ago we had a lightning strike and saw sparks fly in our kitchen. After that, we found out that the back two burners on our Whirlpool Gold glass top stove did not heat up. The front burners and warming element work fine. We get an error code E1F2 on the display which clears when we hit the off button, but comes back when we try to use the burners or the oven. The oven appears to start heating but then we hear a beep, get the error code and the oven stops heating. Our cottage is on an island so not easy to get a repairman here! Can you help us?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

All of the burners on the stove top are control with knobs on your model? Do you have a volt/ohm meter to test with?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, they are all controlled with knobs with the exception if the warming element and yes we have a basic volt meter (not sure about its accuracy).
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Daryl. The first thing to do is get behind the range and rotate through the connections at the outlet.

First locate 220 volts, then after that locate 2 110 connections. Lets start there. I have been looking at the diagram but have not figured out why half of the stove top burners are working, if there had been just the oven out that would have made it easier but I am still looking through that diagram too.

Take your time, there is no rush and if the meter is just a so so meter that gets fairly close we can work with that.

Thanks,
Barry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes we have 220 and 110
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you. I was looking to see what all of the burners on the top have in common and what they do not. I see that there are the 2 front ones are wired and get their 110 from L2 while the rear ones are getting their voltage from L1. The thing is that the warming element is also wired to L1 yet it works.

And you did get a 110 reading 2 times in 2 different connections?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes we got the 110 reading on two connections. We took off the back panel and found some burnt wires on a box. Can we send you a photo?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is switch near the top in the back panel that show that it is burnt and one wire is off.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Yes absolutely, some browsers show a paper clip here where we type. If you do it that way browse to the image file and wait 10 seconds. Click then wait 10 more seconds then insert and it will show here.

The second way is to post it to a site, tinypic.com is one and put the link to the image here in a post.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We're using an ipad and there is no paperclip or attach function so we replied to the email response that was last sent by you and attached the image there.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
I understand. Daryl are the wires burned at a jumper connection where the wire runs over to another switch?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a red wire running from the main connection to what appears to be the switch for the self-cleaning. It is burnt off completely. It looks like the solenoid is damaged as well. Can the solenoid that has the two reds and the two blues be bypassed?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Let me look, Red and blue I will be right back.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Yes you can bypass the door lock switch red wire's connect those. I am unsure which solenoid though. I do see blue wires but not sure which solenoid. Give me a few minutes to scan and upload this diagram.

Thanks,
Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Click the link below. Under the word caution that is the door lock switch R is red for the wire color. See that?

I am unsure of the solenoid you are describing, maybe you can pick it out on the diagram.

CLICK HERE FOR FILE.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looking at the wiring diagram book the red wires and blue wires go to the door switch. I think that the blue wires are shown as P3-1 and P3-2 on the diagram. To bypass the switch, should I connected to blue wires together or just leave them apart?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
That switch is normally open and is the door latch locking switch for the self clean. If there are blue wires to p3-1 and p3-2 still connected to that switch disconnect those and tape them. Evidently that is the one that says the door is locked.

And there are red wires as well? Is there a separate switch that they are connected to on that?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After bypassing everything is now working...burners, oven, and no error message!
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Oh that is great. I wanted to tell you that but I wanted to see an image of that switch. I was looking all over the place to find one and not one appliance parts sales online had an image.

Just do not use the self clean feature until you get that part replaced and it should be fine. It is a miracle it did not blow the board. I guess it just happened to hit L2 only.

If something happens save this page to your bookmarks and let me know, I will followup with you free. There is no charge for a followup.

Thanks,
Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.