Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a GE model JVM1790BK01 microwave. Everything works

I have a GE model JVM1790BK01 microwave. Everything works (controls, timer, heating, turntable, exhaust fan) except for the interior fan. The sound is different because that fan is not working, and when I cook an item that steams, the steam does not exhaust. Any ideas how to fix and what parts I might need?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. are you saying the control cooling fan is not running ? is that the one you talking about ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I thinks so.
Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
okay that can only be one of 3 things. the first thing you need to check is the power to the fan, do you have a volt meter ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Brian, I have a voltmeter but not adept at using it. Is there a time later today when you and I can chat?
Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
Yes I have to go out and will be back after 4 est if you want to try then.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That would be great. Will you contact me then?

Jim
Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
yes I will let you know, thanks and talk then Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
Hi are you there now ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Bryan,

I was here waiting for your contact and must have missed it. Are you there now?

Jim

Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
yes I'm here.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Bryan,

I am ready to continue this project. What DI I need to do next?

Jim
Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
okay had to read the question again. the thing is you will need to open the control panel and see if the fan is getting 120 volts do you think you can do that. ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do I need to take the microwave out of the cabinet to open the control panel, or can I get to it in place?
Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
you should be able to get to the fan with this in place, remove the grill along the top of the door and then there is a screw holding the control panel at the top. this will hinge down when the screw is out , the circulation fan is number 518 on this diagram. if you can get to it then this may need to come down and the case removed.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay. I will try it. Will get back to you once I have taken the panel off.
Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
okay be careful that's all.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Brian, I have removed the event at the top and taking out the screw at the top of the control panel but it does not seem to want to flip down are there other screws holding it
Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
try sliding it up (the control) then hinge out from the top. does that work ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes that's all it took to get it off.
Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
okay now carefully see if you can get to the fan. (make sure its unplugged before trying )
Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.

these machines can store a lot of voltage in the capacitor so don't get near that.High Voltage Capacitor WB27X11031      Main Product View

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can't see the fan.
Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
okay unfortunately you will need to take the microwave down and remove the case.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That's what it looks like. I can get to the fan blades by taking a small cover off at the top of the oven but I cannot get to the motor
Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
yeah sorry, these can be a pain.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay, I got the microwave off of the wall are you now saying I should take the entire case off
Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
yes you will need to just to get to the fan .
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay. Can we communicate other than SMS?
Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
unfortunately no, what you need to do is once you have the case off put your meter on AC volts and run the microwave. touch the two connections on the fan and see if it gets 120 volts or close to that , could be like 115 volts. if its getting voltage and the fan isn't running replace the fan.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.