Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech

I am trying to determine approx costs to repair an Edgestar

I am trying to determine approx costs to repair an Edgestar IB450SS ice maker. I replaced the water pump and the unit is working as far as the water flowing over the ice mold but no ice is forming. It sounds like the compressor is turning on so not sure if that is the problem. I don't want to invest too much more in fixing this. Might need to get a new machine.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction.

If you feel the plate that makes the ice, is it cooling at all?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is very little unformed ice cubes that make it to the bin. I did not feel the plate that makes the ice as the owner's manual says not to do that.

Okay you are getting some ice then?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would say VERY LITTLE, almost none but some very small unformed cubes. This ice maker makes sheets of waffle type ice and it is no where near doing this. I cannot determine if the compressor would be the problem although is sounds like it is kicking on. Or if it is the ice mold part. Either way it feels like that replacing either of those would be cost prohibitive.

The compressor is kicking in, however the problem is going to be either the compressor is growing weak, or the reversing valve is not closing all the way, both are very expensive repair, over $500 if not more, depending where you live,These both concern the sealed system, so I licensed repairman would be required to do this repair.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 s please consider replying and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory