Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

rca whirlpool washer stopped working full of water.........wont

rca whirlpool washer stopped working full of water.........won't rinse or spin.......get a buzzing sound in the switch.

Good morning Jerry my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Look around on the washer for model/serial sticker and post the model number. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams.

The buzzing is coming from the lid switch?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

barry, thanks. i have not found a model no. sticker.......on front is 6 cyces, two speed combinations..............timer switch is buzzing or humming...........lid switch works......water levels work.

So it just fills and that is it. The timer does it continue to advance in time? Or does it sit there without moving yet making noise?

Is it a topload washer?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

top not think the timer is advancing.........will measure that next but pretty sure not.

Watch that for 10 or 15 minutes, or longer if you would like, notice if it buzzes but does not move.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

timer is not advancing...........buzzing is intermittent like protection from burnout if that makes sense............

One last thing if you advance the timer to another cycle will the machine operate

thanks Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

has not. tried it on all three cycles............that is for spin............if i set it back to rinse, it filled tub again............i'm about drained out. lol

You can lower the hose to drain the washer. Most all topload washers will drain the water out that way.

You need a timer, I would open the control panel and double verify that the buzzing is in fact the timer and not the pressure switch. The pressure switch is the UFO looking part with some wire and a tubing attached. However the part that "is" buzzing will be the part to replace. I know that is what it is going to be if you are sure about the location of the sound. The contacts are arcing inside. You are going to need to find the model number to order one, they put them all over the washers in different places. Up behind the console, down on the sides and under the lid toward the rear just over the tub are some common places. Be sure to unplug the washer before changing the part, also if it turns out to be the pressure switch buzzing instead of the timer you need to have the tub empty of water before changing that part, if you do not that will change the water level settings.

If you have any questions at all Jerry please ask me. If not then please leave a rating for me.

Thank you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks.............i'll do those things today and see if i can find a part locally. otherwise, ill look for a new washer.........

I understand, well I do not know the age of the washer but I would imagine it has some years on it. There are lots of fancy washers out there but I will just tell ya, I like the Whirlpool/Roper topload cheap washers better than any of them. You don't have all the electronic's in them to fail and they really do last a long time. Never replaced a motor in one, the clutch is the weak part of the washer but still even then those last a long time.

You and your family have a nice rest of the weekend Jerry, thank you for the opportunity to help.