Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

GE Profile 10 yrs old. Control panel not lit, motor not running,

GE Profile 10 yrs old. Control panel not lit, motor not running, not cooling
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction.

Does the interior light come on when you open the door?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Light comes on, but control panel lights at the top do not

Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
DOes the water dispenser still work on the unit?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

That has not worked for a while

Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
On the left hand side of the control panel there are 2 buttons, for adjusting the freezer temps, press the warmer and colder buttons at the same time to see if it is a computer glitch and comes back up ...

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Did that, the control panel is dark no numbers no light. The icemaker has not worked but when I pressed on the lever it would make a noise. I have been putting ice in the dispenser manually and it would come out. Now no cooling and no motor sound

Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
You have a bad main computer on the unit and it will need to replaced.. you can order a replacement by clicking on the blue link below..

Click here for the correct part for your unit.

Repair Clinic offers a 365 day no question ask return policy, so if the repair does not work you can return the part to them for a full refund, yes this even includes electronic parts that many other part suppliers will not allow to be returned.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 s please consider replying and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I am a widow and you have really helped. I knew if I called a repairman they would possibly say I needed a new motor or compressor etc. I felt like the computer might be the problem. Is this a part that my really handy friend could rplace or will I also need a repairman

Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
Very easy to replace, takes about 20 minutes and it even comes with directions... If you call a service company they are going to charge at least $120 to install it..
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you You have been great. So you think my friend can do this? Will the computer malfunction make the motor stop and the cooling quit?

I will give you a great rating after this question, but I will need this page back to go to the link to order the part. Thank you

Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
Yes you friend should have no problem, and yes this can cause the problems that you are having...

Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech