Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

We have a KitchenAid built-in convection oven (KEHU309) and

Customer Question

We have a KitchenAid built-in convection oven (KEHU309) and just ran the self clean on it. After the self clean we left the door open for about an hour to let it cool down. When we came back to close the door we noticed that none of the three lights were working. We closed the door and tried turning the lights on with the button and that did not work either. Any idea on how to diagnose? I checked the bulbs and they seem to be good.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

Hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized KitchenAid service technician and I can help you today.

Jon :

To know exactly what has happened and what parts are failing, either the light receptacles or the main computer that supplies the power to the board, we will need to first check the power running to the light receptacles.

Jon :

To do so you will need an ac volt meter. With that I can guide you through checking the voltage being supplied to each light receptacle. So this way we will know if there is power to it. ANd if we have power to the lights and no lights, then you have a bad receptacle. Or if there is no power running to the light receptacle where the light screws into then you have a bad board.

Jon :

Now, if you dont have a meter then there is not much we can do but guess what part has failed. And that doesn't do you or I any good. Because if I tell you to change the main control board, the most common part to fail on this machine, especially after running a self clean cycle, and the board doesn't fix the problem, then you will be upset with me. And I would rather not guess and have you mad at me.

Jon :

Does the rest of the machine work properly?

Jon :

If so, I can tell you this. When using a self clean in an oven like this, the temps get extremely high, about(NNN) NNN-NNNNdegrees, it can take a toll on the computer parts and electrical components to the machine. And when the oven runs that hot for hours at a time the heate can and usually will damage the boards inside.

Jon :

So when you left the doors open, the relay on the boards were stuck open for a longer then normal period of time. And coupled with the fact that the board was soo hot from running the self clean cycle prior, they have most likely shorted out.

Jon :

And the only way to fix this would be to replace the board.

Jon :

It actually happens a lot more then you might think. It is almost common. And like I said above, especially when you use the self clean in the oven.

Jon :

Please get back to me here if you need further explaination or if you have a meter and would like to check the unit out.

Jon :

otherwise, call a service tech in to look at it for you. Or just replace the parts. And if you need help finding parts info you can come back to me here for that as well.

Jon :

If you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please be sure to rate my performance positively below this chat now with ok service or better rating. And if you have more questions even after rating me please feel free to come back to me here again at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge. But if you feel that i have not helped you please don't rate me poorly. Just simply come back to me here and tell me how I can help you better.

Jon :

Thanks.

Customer:

Thanks for the response. I do have a volt meter. Where would you suggest I check the voltage? The pins on the bulbs are small enough that the tester probes do not fit in them...

Jon :

Ok. you will not be testing the bulbs themselves. you will need to test the light receptacle the light bulb gets screwed into. And on this oven you may need to pull the oven out. Basically where the light plugs into you will need to get access there.

Jon :

if you cant see how to access the light receptacle please let me know and I will help you more.

Jon :

but if you dont have power to the light receptacle then we know the computer is bad. If you do have power there then we know the computer board is good and the light receptacles are bad.

Jon :

But like I said before, it is extremely rare to see all the lights receptacles go out at the same time. Which is why when you run the self clean for a period of time ad you have any other problmes afterwards, it is usually associated with the main board that fails.

Customer:

I dont have voltage at the lights, so it must be the board. Can I get the information on that part?

Jon :

hello

Jon :

again.

Jon :

sorry for the delay.

Jon :

yes, if there is no voltage to the light receptacles then you will need the main board.

Jon :

but like i said above i will need to know the last few digits of the model number to be sure that i have the correct part info for your model machine.

Jon :

there are a few variations of your model. so does your model number end in sss00, sss01, sss02, sss03, sss04, sss06 or sss06?

Jon :

the control board is part number W10160958 and should cost about $225.

Jon :

It looks like I will not need to know the last few digits of the model number because the computer parts are the same in all the models. So just order that board and that will fix the problem of the lights not working in your machine

Jon :

the link for the part is below. Just click on the image below to open and view. Please get back to me here if you have any other questions and I will help you more.

Jon :

Thanks.

Jon :

Please remember to rate my performance positively now below this chat with ok service or better rating if you feel that I have helped to answer your questions. And if you have more questions even after rating me positively now, you can come back to me here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

Thanks.

Customer: Sss03
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Tim,

Thank you for the rest of the model number. And for the positive rating and very generous bonus. It is greatly appreciated.

The part number I posted above is good for that model number as I mentioned above. So you can order it and replace it in your machine. And please get back to me here if you have any other questions or concerns and I will help you more.

Just so I know, does any other button on the glass control user interface board not work besides the lights?

Thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just the lights are not working
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thats what i thought.

Please get back to me here if you need anything else or have any other questions or concerns with this machine and I will help you more.

Thanks again.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I got the part in but cant seen to locate the board. I thought it was in the panel above the microwave. Can you tell me the location of this board?

Expert:  Jon replied 12 months ago.
Tim,

I am sorry but from the exploded view diagrams it is shown just behind the display board. So if you don't see it there after you remove the front display them you will have to pull the oven out and look either int he back of the top panel or on the back panel.

Again, the diagrams are not very clear so I am sorry that I can't be more descriptive in the location of the board. It is different in many models. But almost always behind the front display and control board.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Jon,

I located the control board on the left side of the microwave. I replaced the board but have the same issue of no lights. I found a wiring diagram and found that the voltage flows from the relay on the control board to a transformer and then to the lights. I have voltage on the control board side of the transformer but not on the other side, so it must be a bad transformer. A bit frustrated as I am now out quite a bit of money and still dont have a working oven light. I ordered the transformer tonight and that should solve the problem

Expert:  Jon replied 11 months ago.
Tim,

I am sorry to hear that. I am just now reviewing the info you posted above and the diagrams on your machine. If you have ordered the part from repairclinic.com then you will be able to return the part for a full refund.

I am sorry but if the lights in the main oven cavity are the issue and still don't come on when replacing the smaller control board then the main control board will need to be changed. The transformer can not be replaced by itself. It is a part of the main control board.

The main control board is of course very expensive. And if you would like to replace that it is part number W10143290. Should cost about $500 with a Core charge of $50. And the core charge will be refunded to you when the old board is returned.

I realize this is a very expensive part and that you may be a bit wary of replacing it without knowing for sure if it will fix the issue. That is why again I recommend ordering parts from repairclinic.com. They are the only parts warehouse that will accept returns on electrical parts. Even after they have been installed. For up to one year.

If you have any other questions please get back to me here and I will explain and help more.

Thanks.