Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

water is spraying from back of whirlpool refrig up top where

Customer Question

water is spraying from back of whirlpool refrig up top where one of the hoses goes in ..

installed new water filter no change
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is Barry, thank you for choosing our service.

Is it spraying kind of high behind the freezer or down low around the house water line and all of the other plastic lines?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

high up top where line goes in

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Give me a few minutes to type what to do, you do need to turn off the ice maker first though. I will be typing.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

cant find switch to turn off ice maker ... just bought this house with frig in it they didn't leave me manual...

the spraying is speratic ...not making ice either...water dispenser works fine

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Open the freezer door and about 4 and a half feet from the floor on the right side of the freezer door frame is off/on. The water is coming out only when the ice maker is calling for water, its doing its normal cycle to make ice which is once in a while.

Down low where all the lines go and your home line connects to the refrigerator is the water inlet valve. Its the blue plastic part down there in the back. What has happened is instead of shutting all the way off like it should it is letting water seep by. That water has frozen in the fill tube that fills the ice maker with water and then when the ice maker called for water again it blew the tube out of the back.

What you need to do is turn off the water to the refrigerator Tim. Like I said turn off the ice maker and take the ice maker out. Locate that tube and thaw that (extremely carefully) with a hair dryer, or better yet turn off the refrigerator and open the doors to let that tube thaw, that is the safest way.

Leave the water off until you replace that water inlet valve. The tube at the back where it blew out slips right back where it was and does not leak under normal conditions. The inlet valve is the first part your homes water supply connects to. One side is for the ice maker and one side is for the dispenser. Its a dual valve in one body. To replace it UNPLUG THE UNIT. Turn off the water, remove the screws holding it on and pull it out where you can work with it. If you look where the plastic lines go into the valve you will see a white or yellow ring. Press that down in toward the valve while pressing the line in at the same time. Then pull the line out while holding the ring down. Simply push the line in the new valve and give it a light tug to be sure its seated.

Once you get all the water lines changed pull a wire connector off the old valve and push it on the new. Do that one at a time so you do not get them mixed up. Thats it. Plug up the unit and turn everything on and it will all start automatically.

Please ask if you have questions, if not then please leave a rating for me.

Thank you,
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Hello Tim, This is a courtesy follow up from Barry.

I was wondering if my answer helped and if you were happy with my service?