Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

I have a Whirlpool clothes washer Model WTW5500XL0 High Efficiency.

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool clothes washer Model WTW5500XL0 High Efficiency. The unit is about two years old.

The rinse cycle is not happening properly and I saw it complete the Normal cycle, enter the Done state, with clothes still mostly wet (even though setting was set to high spin), then unlock the lid while the drum was still spinning. To properly complete the Rinse-Drain Cycle, the main control knob must then be turned to Drain & Spin cycle for clothes to finally be fully drained.

Is there a self test we can run to determine whether there is a sensor problem or a controller problem?

Gary
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. Give me a few minutes to pull up your model. thanks .Be right back. does this seem to get up to full spin in the cycle before you have to reset it back to drain spin ? can you pull the drain hose up out of the drain pipe and watch when it gets to drain and see if the water is coming out strong ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok working on it
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay just pull it out far enough so you can see the water, hold on to it so you don't flood your home.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We ran the Rinse and Spin Cycle and the Drain flow is very good.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay and did it spin fast ? When you said it (unlocked the lid but kept spinning is that what you meant ? ) the drum didn't stop spinning even though the lid unlocked ? you could lift the lid and it kept spinning ? I just want to make sure I understand correctly .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it spins fast and the clothes were very dry after Pausing and unpausing the spin cycle.

On this test on the Rinse and Spin cycle the Spin never started, just the Draining, The cycle finally ended with Done and the clothes soaking wet with no Spin at all.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay have you seen any fault codes come up at all, like LF , Ld, uL , oL, Sd ? or any like that ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no display
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
oh okay this has the lights that tell you a fault. have you seen any light flash?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lights only flash when paused. Most of the time the it just skips the cycle even though the light is on "spin" it either does a low spin or no spin at all. The only way to get it to fully spin a high spin is to pause and delay a minute then unpause.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
try this.

ACTIVATION OF AUTOMATIC

DIAGNOSTIC TEST MODE

1. Be sure the washer is in standby mode

(plugged in with all indicators off, or with

only the Clothes Clean or Done indicator

on).

2. Select any one button (except POWER,

START, and STOP) and follow the steps

below, using the same button (remember the button.

If this test mode has been entered successfully,

all indicators on the console

are illuminated for 5 seconds with

88

showing in the Estimated Time Remaining

two-digit display.

If indicators do not display as described

above, the press/hold/release

procedure above may not have been

performed within the time frame necessary

for successful entry. Repeat step

2 to ensure this was not the cause. If

still unsuccessful, see Diagnostic: Unsuccessful

Entry.

3. The program then checks for saved fault

codes:

If there are saved fault codes, see Diagnostic:

Saved Fault Codes.

If there are no saved fault codes, all

indicators on the console will momentarily

turn off, then turn back on with

88

displayed. After 5 seconds, the Automatic

test begins.

Press/hold

3 seconds

Release for

3 seconds

Press/hold

3 seconds

Release for

3 seconds

Press/hold

3 seconds

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WE DO NOT HAVE A DISPLAY.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry I sent the wrong file, please stand by.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kk
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I have to opt out sorry, my computer is really running bad. it keeps bringing up the wrong file when I try to send it and my computer just completely shut down, UI had to restart just to answer you. someone else will pick this up. sorry, thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will they contact me now ?
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized Whirlpool service technician and I can help you today.

Please allow me two minutes to bring up your model and review the recent posts. I will be right back with you.

Thank you.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Gary,

I have read the previous posts and am very familiar with your model machine. I have the diagrams in front of me now as well.

And as far as for your complaint that the tub never really quite spins as best as it should or even on its own, that you need to constantly hit the rinse spin buttons to get it to spin is actually a common one on this model machine.

Your daughters washer has what is called a belt driven machine. Which just simply means that there is a belt that drives the motor and transmission. Not the motor itself, otherwise known as a direct drive.

And on this machine when the tub or basket doesnt spin or doesn't spin to a correct speed there is one common complaint or cause for this. The belt.

So please first take a look under the machine and tell me if you see the belt cover and the belt just behind that either rubbing away or the belt cover itself cracked? A good indication that this is happening is the rubber filings that will be left on the floor directly under the belt and motor. You will see very tiny rubber shavings under the motor and belt.

Took get a better look at the belt and motor under the machine I recommend moving the washer out from the wall about three feet then tilt towards the back of the machine so it can rest against the wall. This will bring the front of the machine up about a two feet or so. This should give you enough room to get down on the floor and peek under the washer. Again you are looking directly under the center of the machine.

Tell me if you see the belt cover and the belt that goes around the motor and the motor and transmission pulleys? and if you see the belt shavings under there as well? and please also tell me if the belt cover has been cracked?

Look for that and get back to me here and I will tell you exactly what you need to do to get this machine back up and running normally again.

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jon,

I am no longer at the site (my daughter's home) but am going to pass this onto her and perhaps her husband can do an assessment else I will need to revisit tomorrow. Hopefully we can respond back by tomorrow sometime.

I just need to know I can send you updated info when available as every reply seems to alternate our ability to send new info.

Thanks

Gary

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Gary,

I certainly understand. And yes, you can come back to me here at any time when you and or your daughter or son-in-law have time to look at this washer.

Please just take a look and come back to me here and let me know what you guys have found and I will help you more.

Just again, to let you know 90% of the time either the belt has come off or the pulley that the belt goes around loosens up a bit to the point where the tub will spin intermittently. And with your case here it sounds like the ladder is most likely happening. and if that is true, you will see either the pulley nut on the floor under the washer or loose around the pulley. And even the pulley starting to drop from the motor or transmission. And because of this the belt will move and start to hit the cover and this gives you the belt shavings on the floor and the damage to the belt cover.

It can be easily fixed by putting the nut back onto the pulley and tightening back up and even adding some lock tight to make sure it doesn't happen again. Then just reattaching the belt if it has come off.

It is just that easy. And usually there is no need to order any parts. Quick easy and cheap repair is all it needs.

So just take a look and get back to me here and I will help you more.

If you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to rate my performance positively below this chat with ok service or better rating so that I can get credit from the website for helping you. And please also know that after rating me positively now, if you still have more questions again, even a week or a month later, you can come back to me here and I will help you more for no additional charge.

thanks again and please let me know how you guys do with this. Talk to you tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so nut seems to be very tight and belt is tightly secure. Not sure what to do next.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Performed the rubber belt check requested by Jon and found no rubber shavings from the belt or any loose nuts.
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction.

I just had one of these with the exact same problem in the last 2 days, after working on the machine for over 2 hours I found that the Shift actuator was malfunctioning during the cycle and would not operate the system properly, even though there was no error code logged for the shidt actuator, replaced the shift actuator and the problem disappeared... you can order the shift actuator by clicking on the blue link below, there is also a video there wher you order it to see how it is replaced..

Click here for the correct part for your unit.

Repair Clinic offers a 365 day no question ask return policy, so if the repair does not work you can return the part to them for a full refund, yes this even includes electronic parts that many other part suppliers will not allow to be returned.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 s please consider replying and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Chas is correct here and if you find that the belt has not come loose nor did it leave any belt shavings on the floor and the pulley nut is not loose either, then replace the actuator/ shifter motor.

This part is what actually tells the motor to spin into gear to go from a wash speed to a spin speed.

But when you need to replace this actuator I will also recommend replacing the main control board. Since they are in the same direct circuit and are in line with each other, if the actuator shorts out and fails, this unfortunately means that the board shorts out as well.

It is recommended to replace both. The board you will need is called the ccu and is part number W10392998. and again the actuator/ shifter is part number W10006355.

The parts can be ordered at either www.marcone.com or www.repairclinic.com. You should find cheaper prices at marcone.

Please get back to me here if you have any other questions and I will help you more.

Thanks.
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
In all my years working on these machines, the CCU is the least likely problem on this machine, replacing a part that is most likely not needing to be replaced will be wasting money bring the cost of the repair to almost half of a cost of a new machine.. Replacing the Shift actuator is the most likely repair for this problem...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Chas,

I have been waiting on the owner to replace the Actuator which they bought a few days ago. I appreciate the response that you provided clarifying that while the CCU was a commonly related problem in Jon's experience, it is not in your experience. If I don't hear back from the owner soon I would like to just credit you with the answer. If I need to contact you after the rating is submitted, I would like to know how to do that under the same Problem Ticket. The only additional issue sounds like it would be replacing the CCU if the Actuator doesn't complete the fix. For a two year old machine, it seems the failed component is quite premature.

(I don't like the quality in the washer appliance market today. Since Whirlpool took over Maytag, I don't plan to buy another Maytag dishwasher.)

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
I understand, If you just accept on this response the credit will come to me for helping you, also for up to 30 days after accepting my answer pertainng to anything about this machine.. I worked for Maytag for so many years and know them very well, I am not saying I do not make mistakes, it happens, especially when working online, something does not get communitcted and the wrong answer given, since the last time we talked I had another customer in the field with the same problem and the actuator repaired the problem...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The Actuator has been replaced and the owner told me that the spin and drain are still a problem. So now they are looking for an inexpensive machine from Habitat for Humanity as the house is sold and they need to leave a working machine. I am going to credit you with the best answer even though additional investment in this machine will probably not happen. at hundreds of dollars to replace the CCU.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Like I said previously. It is recommended that you replace both the shifter/ actuator and the main board at a the same time. Again because they are inThe same electrical circuit.

I see this day in and day out. Just because one tech or expert with less experience on this machine has not seen the board replaced all that often doesn't mean they are right in their diagnosis. In fact, we now know that for this particular case the board was needed.

It is expensive and after spending money on the shifter if the homeowner doesn't want to replace the board I understand completely. It is something I too would question.

If they are looking for something to replace the unit and want some thing inexpensive then tell them to look for sears kenmore machines or frigidaire or GE. You can find a basic top loader for about $300. Or even get a used or scratched and dented new one with original warranty as well.

Please get back to me here again if you need more help either on this machine or with finding another cheaper one. Or even any other machines. I actually know what I am talking about when it comes to these types of appliances.

Thanks again.
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Sir,
it is possible that they did not do the calibration routine on the washer.. If not let me know so I can give you the routine, this other expert is just trying to get you to click an accept on his answer so he will be credited, please just click on my answer I will be more than willing to continue with this problem...

Thank you,
Chas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Chas, The owner replaced the Actuator and that did not solve the problem. Spin issues continued to prevail. Since the cost of shipping to Canada isn't inexpensive the actuator was purchased locally for $75 with no refund opportunity in order to avoid shipping and duty from the U.S. suppliers offering returns. The owner then brought in a local repair technician for $100 who brought a door latch safety switch with him. This turned out to be the needed fix. The spin cycle was being skipped because the safety switch on the door was intermittent or broken. Doesn't make sense to me why switching the mode to Rinse & Drain or Spin & Drain caused it to work either, but thats what I've been told. So the owner and I are disappointed that there are no diagnostics in these machines to detect these things and that three online techs with substantial experience can miss this one.

I think today's washer appliances require mandatory diagnostics. And yes they will cost more, but how much more? Look at the wasted time and effort and frustration that owners and techs are spending on these silly things. And I don't think one company is much different than another. My wife and I looked at 10-15 dishwasher models and weren't satisfied with the new computer controlled machines. Mfrs are all building low durability products. If you know otherwise, I'd love to learn of the exceptions. So I would recommend that the consumers as well as techs send a clear message to the manufacturers that diagnostics are required. And diagnostics that can be understood by consumers. If they can do it on printers & photo copiers, they can surely do it on washers.

And what does it really take to write a diagnostic routine to see if a door switch is working, or an actuator operates. It shouldn't be that costly to do. And once a mfr has the routines written and proven, the same diagnostics can be used on all future models with minor changes. I'll spend my money on the manufacturers building better products.

Gary

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Something does not figure right, I am sorry, this machine will not operate at all if the door switch does not work, It will not fill, agitate or even drain if the lid switch malfunctions.. However is it working now and that is all that matters, enjoy you week coming...